Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dragnet? Hawaii 5.0? Kojack? I wasn’t looking for colt DA guns on tv before but I am now. Plus tv of yesteryear were so much better than junk today

·
Registered
173 Posts
Andy Griffith Show- Barney’s gun is an Official Police. And occasionally you see somebody with a Det. Special.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Untouchables; Official Police revolvers in AE Nelson shoulder holsters.

Reactions: kenhwind

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Dragnet? Hawaii 5.0? Kojack? I wasn’t looking for colt DA guns on tv before but I am now. Plus tv of yesteryear were so much better than junk today
If you watch Blue Bloods, sometimes City Police Commissioner Frank Reagan (Tom Selleck) shows off his old Fitz Special Colt DA (cutaway trigger guard and short barrel).

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Almost ALL TV shows prior to 1980 used revolvers. Almost all movies too, so much that the first Lethal Weapon movie portrayed Mel Gibson as some sort of maverick because he used an automatic, not a revolver. By the mid 1980s, autos were starting to be seen as cool, modern, necessary in all media. That's when hundreds of DA revolvers started showing up in gun shows and shops, very cheaply, and when I started collecting them.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
In "Starsky & Hutch", the blonde one used a 6" blue Python. Memory fails me as to which one was Starsky and which one was Hutch.

·
Premium Member
19,819 Posts
As I recall NCIS- New Orleans started out with the star using a Python. For some reason, that gun disappeared in later seasons.

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
I love the 3 Stooges. Seen many a Colt DA on those shorts.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,225 Posts
In the old TV days mostly revolvers were used and almost always they were Colt's.

Among the shows I remember......

The Line Up.... Two detectives both with Detective Specials.
Mister Lucky, DS.
Peter Gun, DS.
M Squad with Lee Marvin, two DS's.
Hawk, DS
Surfside 6, DS.
Early Dragnet, DS and Official Police.
1990's short lived Dragnet, Colt 3 inch Python.
Richard Diamond, DS.
Honey West, often a DS.
Bourbon Street Beat, DS's.
Official Detective, DS's.
Tight Rope, DS.
Hawaiian Eye, DS.
State Trooper, Official Police.
Adam 12, brief mid period show... Colt Trooper Mark III's in clam shell holsters.
Coronado 9, DS.
The Detectives, DS.
The FBI, 2 1/2 inch Python.
Harry O, DS.
Madigan, DS.
Highway Patrol, DS
The Investigators, DS.
McCloud, Colt Single Action.
Naked City, DS's.
Police Story, occasional Colt's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife and I just got through binge-watching The Walking Dead. Throughout the series, I always thought Rick Grimes had an odd way of shooting - holding the Python up high with barrel pointed downward. Your photo confirms that. No way he's seeing the sights. Kind of "gangsta zombie killer". Great show anyway. I just notice things like that.

Of course - NOW I want a Python!

GEE... 15 posts and no one has mentioned TWD?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Charlie's Angels...the only show that demonstrated that you could hit the tire of a moving car at 100 yards with a 2" 38 Special and the car would explode every time.
Then again, I guess firearms authenticity wasn't the main focus. :eek:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts