Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just at a local gun show and a young fellow approached me wanting to do some trading.... To make a long story short, I ended up with, what he said was a 1903 pocket pistol.. The markings on the gun say
"patented april 1897 sept 1902, automatic colt calibre 38 rimless smokeless" The pistol has a rounded exposed hammer with a ser. number of 30341... Does anyone have any guesses? Thanks for any help.
John

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Pocket Model of 1903 was produced from 1903 to 1927-28 with a total of ~22,000 being made. It is a recoil operated pistol chambered for the .38ACP cartridge. Note that while modern .38 Super cartridges will chamber in this gun, it is *NOT* safe to be fired with the higher-pressure ammo. If you decide to shoot this gun, it should be checked by a competent 'smith. I believe standard .38ACP is available from Old Western Scrounger.

Serial number 30341 shows as being made in 1912, but by then a spur hammer (similar to those found on the M1911) had replaced the rounded design. If yours has the solid rounded hammer rather than the spur type, it has been replaced at some point.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
BIG JOHN, I apologize for stepping on you post to talk to LWCmdr45, but he posted no e-mail address so know no other way to reach him.

LWCmdr45, your user name it of interest to me because I am looking for a slide for a Pre-1955 Commander. (I bought a first-year Commander represented as original, but which turned out to have a reblued slide.) The slide will be marked COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.

I would also be interested in a complete Commander with a slide marked as stated. Since I have the box, I hope to "fix" the pistol by replacing the slide.

Can you help?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry, your honor! I didn't post an e-mail address due to a fear of spam, not because of any reticence to communicate.

I regret I know of no source for such a slide, but I'll certainly keep my eyes open and let you know if one passes my way.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Sorry again BIG JOHN!

LWCmdr45, I understand your reasons. I share them and am not sure whether there is a link on my profile or not.

Thank you for your offer to watch for an early slide. A complete Pre-1955 pistol would be of interest too.

Do you collect just (Lightweight) Commanders in .45? I constantly have to argue with auction posters who list Combat Commanders as Commanders, and sometimes the reverse. The Series 70 issue also comes up all the time, when there were no Series 70 Commanders, Combat Commanders or Supers because none had the collet bushing that was the reason for the Series 70 designation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LWCmdr45:
The Pocket Model of 1903 was produced from 1903 to 1927-28 with a total of ~22,000 being made. It is a recoil operated pistol chambered for the .38ACP cartridge. Note that while modern .38 Super cartridges will chamber in this gun, it is *NOT* safe to be fired with the higher-pressure ammo. If you decide to shoot this gun, it should be checked by a competent 'smith. I believe standard .38ACP is available from Old Western Scrounger.

Serial number 30341 shows as being made in 1912, but by then a spur hammer (similar to those found on the M1911) had replaced the rounded design. If yours has the solid rounded hammer rather than the spur type, it has been replaced at some point.

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LWCMDR45
HEY STEVE, YOU ANSWERED A QUESTION SEVERAL WEEKS AGO ABOUT A 38 ACP POCKET PISTOL (1903) WOULD YOU KNOW IF THIS GUN HAS ANY VALUE OR IT A BOAT ANCHOR? IT IS IN VERY NICE CONDITION, AND DOES HAVE A ROUNDED HAMMER SPUR. HOPE YOU READ THIS POST, SORRY I DID NOT GET BACK TO YOU SOONER BUT MY MOTHER BOARD CRASHED AND IT HAS TAKEN THIS LONG TO GET IT REPAIRED... JOHN

·
Registered
68 Posts
John,

If it checks out okay by a qualified 'smith, it's hardly a boat anchor; it'd be a fun (albeit, expensive) plinker and you certainly wouldn't see many others on the firing line at the local range! The absence of a manual safety precludes its use as a carry gun though.

Keep it or sell it? That's up to you. If you have the money to spare, hold on to it; the value will only go up if it's in collector-grade condition.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Sorry to be nit-picky, but I believe the Model 1903 Pocket has an inertia firing pin so it is just as safe to carry hammer down as a 1911-pattern pistol without a firing pin lock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts