Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
141 Posts
There are more knowledgeable people than me that will chime in soon, but the BOA was indeed a Colt factory run, in low numbers, for the Lew Horton Company. Not a fake. Good ones go for serious money. I was not aware of any finish other than a good quality blueing though, so I wonder if the one gun was buffed up. It looks like it in a few of the pictures.

My understanding is that it's best to own them and not shoot them though, because parts of the build were not up to the 357 load. They are indeed a Trooper in many aspects, with other bits thrown in there in the mix. People who collect Snakes seek good examples and pay for them, as in the two barrel lengths offered there were only 600 or so made, along with some sold as a set.

As I say - more informed folks will give you more detail, and I may be corrected as well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
They are JUNK. No 8" blue or any nickel were ever made. These are MKV frames with "custom" fake Boa barrels. The seller is a tactical shop selling on consignment. Before they were told these are fake, they were asking $13K each!!! These are $500 guns in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
That seller has somewhat of an infamous reputation with the class 3 world. Those would have to be python barrels with the markings removed and engraved with BOA markings. If those python barrels are indeed 2 pin front sight barrels, my concern would be that is different threads than a MKV trooper or King Cobra. The blued gun could have started out as either.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Yep.. as stated above, fake. No 8" BOA's or nickel BOA's were made. Those are Python barrels indeed. Here's what I found on the 2. BOA barrels have a flat muzzle where Python barrels have an extended muzzle crown (as shown on those 2). All BOA's had red ramp front sights and white outline rear (both don't). The nickel version shown is a MKIII J frame (serial number from a Trooper MKIII on crane) as all BOA's were V frames. The 8" blued version has the wrong stocks and has a Trooper MKV serial number. BOA's came with V target checkered rosewood stocks where as this one has 1st gen V target walnut stained hardwood stocks with press checkering which is period correct for early Trooper MKV's. Notice the extended muzzle crown on the fake and the genuine BOA barrel with the flat muzzle. Hope this helps.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,967 Posts
My understanding is that it's best to own them and not shoot them though, because parts of the build were not up to the 357 load. They are indeed a Trooper in many aspects, with other bits thrown in there in the mix. People who collect Snakes seek good examples and pay for them, as in the two barrel lengths offered there were only 600 or so made, along with some sold as a set.

As I say - more informed folks will give you more detail, and I may be corrected as well.
The Colt Boa's were Colt Trooper Mark V revolvers fitted with a Python barrel and given a Royal Blue finish, as used on the Python.

These are entirely safe to shoot because they were simply rebarreled standard Mark V guns which were specifically made for unlimited use with full power Magnum ammo.
The linked Gunbroker guns are of course not original Boa's, and are very over priced for cobbled together guns.
The Boa re-marked barrels suggest they were originally intended to be sold to unwary buyers thinking they were getting a rare original Boa.
At least the current seller does make ONE mention of these being a clone, but in other areas lists them as a "Colt Boa" which they are NOT.
Shady at best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.