Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
It looks like it has a set of brass knuckles built in to crack someone across the head if you don't want to waste a round or make noise.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks like something made for Steampunk cosplay.

Reactions: webley455

·
Registered
368 Posts
OK, couldn't sleep so I did a little more digging. The name in the corner - Thomas Riboll Kobayashi - is a digital artist who works for a French video game company. He apparently did a whole collection of fantasy weapon concepts. Another one of his fantastical creations is shown here:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, couldn't sleep so I did a little more digging. The name in the corner - Thomas Riboll Kobayashi - is a digital artist who works for a French video game company. He apparently did a whole collection of fantasy weapon concepts. Another one of his fantastical creations is shown here:
Sorry to keep you awake, Zrexxer! Like I said, some imagination that guy has.

Rio

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Weird as imagination & art can be --- competition by reality back in the day is worth comparison --

The Collier flintlock revolver enjoyed some success ca. 1820. Invented by an American, some 10,000 were made in England ----->

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has been said the Sam Colt possibly saw an example of this in London during his time at sea and this may have helped his design for a revolver.

Rio

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Boy, now THERE is a "Rube Goldberg" device, if I ever saw one! :D Mister Goldberg would have been very proud of the person who put that together! :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
It has been said the Sam Colt possibly saw an example of this in London during his time at sea and this may have helped his design for a revolver.
Rio
One report had it that Colt's inspiration came from watching the rudder wheel on a ship. Whatever -- the revolving chamber idea dated back couple centuries but no significant production. I had one, possibly late 1600s in my shop, from a dealer for some work --

·
Registered
122 Posts
With all due respect, the 10,000 Colliers made for shipment to India as reported on Wikipedia is a mistake that has been repeated many times. This came from Elisha Collier testimony in the Colt vs. Massachusetts Arms Company patent infringement lawsuit of 1851. From that testimony, Collier stated that 10,000 English Pounds worth of rifles (that would approximate to about 160 rifles) was intended for India then later in that same testimony said that that was the intent and then suggested that there were more than one set of shipments anticipated to reach that number. It is likely that any number near that figure or even a large fraction of that is in fact unlikely as he suggested still further in his testimony. Apparently Elisha Collier was as good as embellishment as was Samuel Colt. From surviving examples and observed serial numbers (the number before the word Patent on the lock plates and barrels) there were a few more than 100 flintlock long guns made and a few more than 100 flintlock pistols made originally.

We have identified about 60 pistols and long guns between all types and configurations still existing today and about 1/3 of them are in museums all over the world so far and there are surely a few that we have yet to find but it is doubtful that too many more will be discovered. Any Collier is extremely rare. And as we see with other rarities in our hobby, there are spurious examples that were made in England in the 1980s that are very good that are out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts