Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm heading to the Alamo for my annual pilgrimage. The Birth place of Texas Liberation from Mexico. My dilemma is what Colt SAA to carry? Tomorrow is a solemn ceremony to remember the Destruction of the Texans by Generalissimo Santa Anna and the burning of the Texans bodies. Should I carry my 1905 Colt or my new 2019 Colt? Both are Texas delivered SAA's. I kinda want to Open Carry the 2019 SAA to commemorate the place and ceremonies. But I don't know if the 1905 Colt SAA ever made it out of the Spindletop oil Fields except traveling north a 100 miles to the woods of East Texas. I'll be getting photos in all Black gear, so maybe it's time for the 2019 Colt SAA.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Rick,
It's a shame you didn't end up with Huge Clark's ivory Alamo grips. Those on an early SAA would have been perfect for your pilgrimage. On which one to carry, I would carry the Colt that meant the most to me. After all, those men died for all of Texas, not a particular area of Texas. Have fun and I'm looking forward to seeing your photo's.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Rick,
It's a shame you didn't end up with Huge Clark's ivory Alamo grips. Those on an early SAA would have been perfect for your pilgrimage. On which one to carry, I would carry the Colt that meant the most to me. After all, those men died for all of Texas, not a particular area of Texas. Have fun and I'm looking forward to seeing your photo's.
I have several Colts w/one pce ivorys on them dating back as far as 1901,I like looking @ carved grips but don't own any because I don't like shooting w/them,but I sure would like to have got Hugh's Alamo grips when I had the chance,they're the only pair I have ever wanted.

·
Registered
482 Posts
SFC Rick - Thanks for the post/pics. As a proud Texan banished to Occupied Northern Virginia for the past fifty years or so, I always enjoy seeing people having a good time among nice folks and not stewing over this political junk we're constantly marinated in up here.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. That is hallowed ground your standing on. It has been about 8-9 years since we last visited the Alamo. Think it's time to revisit. The gentleman in the original custom really fits the occasion.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
When I was in basic training we got to go to the Alamo at the end- it was great but I was to green did not know enough history to fully appreciate it. Like to go back some day and head over to Waco and visit the Texas Ranger museum.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the Alamo, been going every year. It's a 5 hour trip from my home with another 2 hours added to get through Houston's traffic. Total time about 7 hours both ways. However, it's something else to walk into that Chapel and feel the presence of the souls lost there and on the grounds. The Alamo is to Texas what the 300 Spartans were to the
Battle of Thermopylae fought between an alliance of Greek city-states, led by King Leonidas I of Sparta. I always visit the place open carrying my SAA's in my gun belts. The young female Alamo Ranger on my left walked up and was fascinated by that Colt SAA. What a great place to soak in all the spirits of Freedom and Independence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts