Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A customer shipped me his 3rd Gen barrel that had been mishandled at some point.

The pitting on the surface is near the ejector housing and deep enough that if it was merely sanded down and refinished there would be a noticeable "void" between the barrel and housing.
...And most likely a noticeable funky wave in the barrel.

So, the metal smithing begins:
Spot Weld the affected area. Then file, sand and refinish.
Weld a small area, let cool, repeat.

These are photos from my second time around.
I try to go as light as I can on the weld material and heat - precautions are taken. Sometimes, a pit or two is missed and a final, smaller task remains.

If you look closely at the barrel in the 3rd photo (near the top) and compare it with the 2nd you'll see a slight ring where the round weld was - so you can be certain it's the same part of the barrel in all 3 photos.

When the weld is filed off, all that should remain is the new (weld) metal in the pits, so the barrel taking a new blue will go without problems.

Here's a photo as it was shipped, one with the weld and one at the final filing (flat file, kept clean of shavings) I will post in Colt-Smithing when it's polished and blued.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys!

HWJHFS: That would typically and always be a concern.
In this case, Yes it will match.

When it's complete the only place the weld material will actually persist is in the pitting itself, which is minimal. After bluing the advantage of the tiny weld spots and the polished blue will actually cause a reflection whereas if (if) there was any variance in color it would be hidden...even under magnification.

A skilled TiG welder can swirl in the weld with the surrounding original metal. I had a guy do that with a Winchester rifle that had the barrel drilled for an old Stith mount. He did fabulous work and it was indiscernible to any critical eye.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
LAB, thanks for posting, I would not have considered that would turn out as nice as it did. Great Job.

Craig

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Excellent work LeverAction!!!

Always nice to see a skilled craftsman's work.

Can't wait for the finished product.

Reactions: lounick and ponyup

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Bill this type gun work by you has sadly taken a "back-seat" to those who's attitude is, "cast it aside and just buy another". I applaud your kind of craftsmanship !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts