Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a Colt Silver Star 45 three yrs ago, limited edition of 1000, just a gov. Colt 1911 but with polished stainless slide and the stamp you can see on photo. Inaugurated Colt's use of stainless on 1911s. Beauty but after a month of normal shooting, many problems - and the slide declared hopelessly chamfered by 2 area gunsmiths + Colt. Area worn is slots - or one of them - on the "roof" of the inside slide where the barrel lugs must fit tightly - or lock-up when shot is weak and gun won't shoot. It also causes barrel to get chamfered over time. Now it has pristine barrel, thanks to Colt, a free gift (as well as free mags). The prior owner is dead, his son sold his guns and knows nothing about them. Chances are owner may have caused chamfering because the worn metal looks filed, but I don't think he knew it since the gun was shooting fine when i got it - likely just before chamfering caused actual problems. You can't fix a badly chamfered gun - it's missing metal and you can't put it back on. It's dead in the water.

Colt has no obligations towards me for the gun - it is second hand and maybe more - may have had other owners - is an '86 and I have no warranty, not the original buyer. They've been very nice with the freebies and that's more than they needed to do.

I'm stuck with an $850 loss.

- I can get a new slide, polished stainless with a star engraved for price of $400 from Colt. Star is a freebie. (The stamp is no longer in existence). That gives me a pretty but bastard gun for $1250 total (original price + slide), worth about $500, I can shoot it or sell it that way. If I sell it for $500 I am out total of $750.

- I can sell it for parts, about $300 I guess. Making the total lost $550 (what I get minus original $ spent and lost)

- I can keep it as it is now, added weight to my safe in case of a hurricane.

Any advice?

The Pretty Dead Gun (pun intended)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Build it a display case and hang it in your gun room or over your mantle. Nice 1911's are like a work of art , while it is a shame yours isn't functional its no reason it can't be a display piece, and if it ever gets stolen you can sleep easy knowing it cannot hurt someone.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Patton's Gun:

Build it a display case and hang it in your gun room or over your mantle. Nice 1911's are like a work of art , while it is a shame yours isn't functional its no reason it can't be a display piece, and if it ever gets stolen you can sleep easy knowing it cannot hurt someone.
Hmmmmmm......... Could be displayed as something else: I have already made up a story about it previously. I tell people it was one of Patton's guns in WWII - and it saved his life: He was cleaning it and while field-stripped it deflected a Nazi Sharpshooter's bullet and that you can still see the bullet mark on inside top of the slide. When it's asked how I got it, I just say we were very close in the War, me and Patton, and add after a pause....that my nick-name is Ike.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I would suggest that you look around at gun shows for a used .22rf conversion for it.I see them quite often in the $200/300 range used.You will have a blue slide but the gun will be useful.If it's a standard gov.frame there shouldn't be a problem with the conversion.Just my .03 cents worth,I had to increase my .02 cents to .03 cents because of the devaluing of the dollar.:)D*

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
While the display case is a nice idea, I would lean towards the .22 Conversion. That way you can shoot it - lots of cheap practice - and keep it in a display case with its original top end, as well.

If you are the least bit handy with tools, there is a third option which does not preclude the two choices above. Buy a generic (say, Caspian) top end and fit it to your frame. That way you have a shooter 1911 and a display piece.

At some point, depending on your options, the cost of all this might well get to be way too expensive. Just trying to give you some options. And I didn't even mention TIG welding the slide lugs and refitting the slide - that's a gunsmith job.

Buck

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Missing Metal can be easily added via Tig or Mig Welding using the same or a close-enough Alloy, and, then the repair can be Machined or fitted however needed...far as that goes.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
If you're able, in your area, to get the work done that Oyeboten proposes, that may be the way to go. But another way to look at it presupposes that you got 3 good years usage out of the gun. In that case I, personally, wouldn't have an objection to having Colt's put on a new slide with "custom" or "one off" star engraving talking points. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Missing Metal can be easily added via Tig or Mig Welding using the same or a close-enough Alloy, and, then the repair can be Machined or fitted however needed...far as that goes.

Good luck!
Really? Who does that well and would it not cost a LOT? The idea of that option would be my top choice if I could afford it.

Thanks for mentioning it and "haggis" for the same.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're able, in your area, to get the work done that Oyeboten proposes, that may be the way to go. But another way to look at it presupposes that you got 3 good years usage out of the gun. In that case I, personally, wouldn't have an objection to having Colt's put on a new slide with "custom" or "one off" star engraving talking points. :rolleyes:
Yes that makes good sense.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Can you post pictures of the damaged areas that your talking about?? I would assume most competent 1911 Smiths could do the work mentioned above. As far as cost?? That would be another thing.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you post pictures of the damaged areas that your talking about?? I would assume most competent 1911 Smiths could do the work mentioned above. As far as cost?? That would be another thing.
Don't have a pix unfortunately. Area would have to be micro welded - not simple and can be ineffectual.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Well, speaking from my own experience, it is usually difficult or impossible to find anyone competent to do anything I ever need done, or they pretend to talk the talk and walk the walk, and then immediately screw it up and get mad at me or one thing or another goes wrong or goes bad. I prefer to do things myself for that and lots of other reasons.

Granted, I am in Las Vegas, where, anything within what would be called The Manual Arts is pretty well non existent here, so...other parts or the Country should be better, Agricultural areas or anywhere Fishing Boats or Maritime things go on should be MUCH better...older Eastern or mid Western Cities should be much better than here, and so on.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You could try Gun Broker auction and describe it accurately. Put broken or issue, or needs work, in the title. Some people think they can fix anything.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, speaking from my own experience, it is usually difficult or impossible to find anyone competent to do anything I ever need done, or they pretend to talk the talk and walk the walk, and thben immediately screw it up and get mad at me or one thing or another goes wrong or goes bad. I prefer to do things myself for that and lots of other reasons.

Granted, I am in Las Vegas, where, anything within what would be called The Manual Arts is pretty well non existent here, so...other parts or the Country should be better, Agricultural areas or anywhere Fishing Boats or Maritime things go on should be MUCH better...older Eastern ot mid Western Cities should be much better than here, and so on.
So, I take it Las Vegas is not the Spot-Welding for Chamfered-1911-Slides capital of the United States?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts