Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, sometimes poster here. I came across a Diamondback for sale and I'm debating whether to purchase it and what to offer.

1975 vintage, 4", .38. It shows a fair amount of holster wear on the muzzle and the high spots of the cylinder. One spot on the cylinder looks like it may have been rubbed by a snap on a holster. The factory grips are beat and scratched up and one has a corner broken off off it. Someone has brushed some red paint on the front sight blade that would probably come of easily. It has been carried, probably by a LEO, BUT...if I were told this gun has only had 10 or 20 rounds through it, I would believe it. Turn line is nearly non-existent. No powder stains on the front of the cylinder, minimum marks on the recoil shield. Locks up absolutely tight. Mechanically it is "as new".

I don't want to insult anyone. I also don't want to overpay for something. What is a fair price for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
pics would really help and needed for evaluation. what are they asking for it? is it in a gun shop or private sale? all the DB's I see are over a thousand but they are 98% or better.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Coleslaw, this might get you in the ballpark. Like USSManLove said, w/o pics it's really hard to say on price. 2 yrs ago, private transaction, I paid $900 for a 1972 DB,
.38, 4" with original correct box and papers. It had some muzzle holster wear and a few scratches. The stocks were beautiful. I couldn't stand to look at the holster
wear or scratches so I sent it back to Colt for Royal Blue treatment. 1st effort was not good, so I returned it and they did well on 2nd try but altogether they had the
gun for about 8-9 mos. I won't do that again; they probably are not accepting refinish work right now anyway. $350 for the refinish.

Hope this helps you a little.

PS: my gun shoots wonderfully well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
LGS. Maybe 600 OTD. Maybe 625. Probably have to own it before I could get pics.

By the time I find decent grips, I'll figure I'll have 725 or 750 in it. It just does not look like it has had more than a few rounds through it. Hard for me to leave it there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts