Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
They look like original 2nd gen grips to me ( but I am not an expert). Funny thing is I just bought a pair that were obvious reproduction and posted the story here on the forum. If you are looking to part with them please let me know as my 2nd gen buntline would look great with the proper grips back n them....

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I think they are reproduction by looking at the screw, screw boss and threaded nut (escutcheons). Other than that they look quality. Would need them in hand to be more accurate. With Colts address on the inside and no eagles they are trying to represent 2nd generation grips. Since 2nd generation grip frames have the serial numbers on their edges the shadows of the numbers are usually left on the grip panels. I see none of that on these grips which with the pencil number means they were fitted to a gun. Again, repro in my opinion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I did have multiple grips out that day and got the screws swapped with another pair. That screw pictured won’t thread into those grips. I found the correct screw that was with them to begin with. I took them to a friend and he told me he believes them to be factory second gen Grips.
I think they are reproduction by looking at the screw, screw boss and threaded nut (escutcheons). Other than that they look quality. Would need them in hand to be more accurate. With Colts address on the inside and no eagles they are trying to represent 2nd generation grips. Since 2nd generation grip frames have the serial numbers on their edges the shadows of the numbers are usually left on the grip panels. I see none of that on these grips which with the pencil number means they were fitted to a gun. Again, repro in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I did have multiple grips out that day and got the screws swapped with another pair. That screw pictured won’t thread into those grips. I found the correct screw that was with them to begin with. I took them to a friend and he told me he believes them to be factory second gen Grips.
OK, thanks. Glad you found out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
MarshalC was kind enough to sell these grips to me at a very reasonable price so I could put them on my 2nd gen buntline. He even offered a money back no questions asked guarantee. I knew before I even finished unwrapping them that they were the real deal Colt article. I could tel by the weight that they were real and not modern knock-offs like I had just bought from Gun Broker. Not only that but they are starting to turn a little brown. Only real colt grips do that. I suspect I can find some black die and fix that sometime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts