Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winchester had the Model 52...

I forgot now now what Remington's offering was, or, offerings were.

A friend of mine wants a nice target Grade .22 and I got him interested in having one from what I said was 'The Golden Era'...so, now I am having to refresh my memory and also learn more so I can advise or aid better in the decision.

Help!!!!

Lol...

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks RdrBill..!

The Remington Model 37 looks like a nice one..!

Also, some fast searched on the gunbroker, looks like not many out there and big dough for beaters and hacked up ones, so ..so far...ouch! Lol...

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
The Remington Model 37 is a bit earlier IIRC, but the 500 Series was produced for many years in both sporting as well as match versions. These are nice rifles.
Mossberg also made some quality target type .22s pre WWII in both right and left hand versions.

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
The fabulous Remington Model 37 "Rangemaster" was made from about 1935 to 1955, so it certainly qualifies as a rifle from the "Golden Era." For a start, go to RimfireCentral.com and then go to the Remington subsection. Search Model 37 and there will be a wealth of information. For information on any Remington rimfire rifle, pick up a copy of the beautifully photographed and information-packed "Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles" by John Gyde and Ray Marcot. It is about three or four pounds of pictures and information on every .22 rimfire Remington rifle. The authors sell autographed copies directly for $97 delivered.

For reasons unknown, I have always been a Remington fan and not a Winchester fan. The book mentioned is the first that I recall devoted to Remington rimfires. It is worth the money. I bought it mainly for information about my Remington Model 40XB Sporter, the pinnacle of Remington rimfire rifles. The book delivered with the production figures for each year the 40XB was in production, along with many pictures. Since only 629 40XB rifles were made, and Remington does not offer historical letters like other manufacturers, information was scarce to locate until this book came along.

As an aside, then I was in ROTC in college in the early 1960s (which was mandatory then!), Remington Model 37 rifles were the only rifles available for training.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I've owned and shot a number of Remington Model 37, 40X and XB rifles and Winchester 52's in their various models. They all had their good points and not so good points. However, the Remington 37 was a real jewel. They were made to incredible tolerances (for their day) and shot wonderfully. It would certainly rank highly among the best .22 target rifles ever built.
I've owned (and shot) a few Remington 40X Sporters, too, and they have a special place in my heart. The last one was a D grade engraved 40X Sporter and it was a beauty.
Sadly most of these rifles are history (to me anyway). My current rimfire rifle collection consists of a 40XB with custom sporter weight barrel, a Bill Calfee XP-22 repeater, a Winchester 52B Sporter and a Winchester 52C sporter. Just can't handle the heavy target rifles any more. I also still have the Winchester 69A 22 rifle that was my first firearms purchase and the Browning semi-auto 22 short take-down rifle that was my second purchase.
If I was wanting a Golden Age 22 target rifle today, I would find a nice Winchester 52C that was in very nice condition. It would not be cheap, but it would be a good one.

- - - - - Buckspen

·
Registered
382 Posts
My now deceased brother had a Remington 541T for a while and I loved that rifle. It was a very accurate rifle built a litttle later but , I would definitely grab one if I stumbled on one for sale.

I am sorry but , I gotta be a bit envious of you , JudgeColt , for owning a 40XB. They were definitely the pinnacle of Remington production rifles.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, this ended up being funny in it's way...

I went about looking for various examples on Gunbroker and elsewhere to try and get a better feel or sense of these various old .22s, and, of course, the hierarchies to some extent within each make.

Big Subject!!!

And, darn it, I am seeing some I myself REALLY like.

So, now I am wanting one...( actually, there are several who's auction numbers I could write in slips of paper, and, draw 'one' from a Hat to decide which TO bid on...Remingtons and Winchesters and Mossbergs it so happens, and, representing various grades, from the basic Thumb-'em-in one shot at a time, to the more sophisticated all-out Target Grade ones, just to make it all worse...)

Oh brother...the dangers of trying to be a good sport and learn about something to help guide someone who knows almost nothing, so they can make a good decision...

Lol...

...sigh...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Look for a Remington 513S or a 521. The 513 is the sporter version and a little handier, but the 521 is light for a target rifle and makes a decent sporter. These use the 500-series action, so there are still parts available for them since Uncle Sugar bought so many 513Ts for the troops to train on. A solid, smooth action. I have a 510 single shot that is one of my favorite .22s (I like single shots of any action type). Mine is later than the 40s, tho--has scope mounting grooves, which I now need, sadly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts