Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking back, what was your favorite material love. For me, it was motorcycles, guns, boats, and tractors. Not necessarily in that order. What was your favorite get away imagination as a child.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Old Guns, old Stationary Machinery, old Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Aeroplanes, old Military anything, old Textiles, Blankets, Linens, Canteens, Equestrian things, old Fountain Pens, old Steamer Trunks to keep other old things in, early Light Bulbs, Light Fixtures, Watches, Books, Clothing, Housewares, Gas Stoves, early Refrigerators, basically, anything 'old' and I was all over it. But it had to be a good design and be 'old enough' somehow.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I can't remember not being interested in guns. One of the first I remember was a bolt action wooden copy of a Springfield M1903 rifle. Opening the bolt exposed a wooden "cartridge" painted gold with a silver colored bullet. Then a succession of cap pistols, and finally, a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.

Also about this time model airplanes, these balsa wood static models of the P-47 and P-40.

Home made fireworks were interesting, too. I had an A.C. Gilbert chemistry set with a formula for making gun powder. Made "pipe bombs", though we didn't know it then, using bamboo sections stuffed with powder and newspaper wads. The bamboo poles were from the carpet shop, as carpeting came in rolls on these poles.

But guns were cheap from junk shops or antique shops, the little .38 or .32 top breaks. Most had broken parts or jumped open if fired. The service station down the street had a brazing outfit that we could build up the worn lugs and dress them down with a file to make the gun servicable again.

And, here's a set of cuff links and tie clip a girl friend gave me in my high school days:

Yep, can't remember not being interested in guns.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't remember not being interested in guns. One of the first I remember was a bolt action wooden copy of a Springfield M1903 rifle. Opening the bolt exposed a wooden "cartridge" painted gold with a silver colored bullet. Then a succession of cap pistols, and finally, a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.

Also about this time model airplanes, these balsa wood static models of the P-47 and P-40.

Home made fireworks were interesting, too. I had an A.C. Gilbert chemistry set with a formula for making gun powder. Made "pipe bombs", though we didn't know it then, using bamboo sections stuffed with powder and newspaper wads. The bamboo poles were from the carpet shop, as carpeting came in rolls on these poles.

But guns were cheap from junk shops or antique shops, the little .38 or .32 top breaks. Most had broken parts or jumped open if fired. The service station down the street had a brazing outfit that we could build up the worn lugs and dress them down with a file to make the gun servicable again.

And, here's a set of cuff links and tie clip a girl friend gave me in my high school days:

Yep, can't remember not being interested in guns.

Bob Wright
w`1q

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
really neat accessories

Bob, that's the most interesting pieces of firearms accessories I've ever seen. Thanks

Sure wish I had a babe that was so thoughtful.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Mis-read the post, sorry. My Hutch Trick Star bicylce and Mark Gonzales "Gator" skateboard. Those are the first possessions I can remember having an attachment to

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Since I was old enough to think fairly well, I'd say guns came first- handguns,rifles,shotguns of most any kind. My favorite toys were capguns then BBguns then "real" guns
Favorite getaway imagined was somewhere in the North woods and the far North of Jack London stories.

·
Administrator
7,336 Posts
The Lounge said:
This area is for discussions on all other gun related talk. Please keep topics on firearms related issues.
Let's keep the material thoughts linked towards guns please .

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Were and still are , Guns, Pocket watches, Aircraft, Steam Trains, and motorcycles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My first nickel plated cap gun, then my Harley Davidson Rapido 125cc. Then the real guns and harley's

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first material love was a Batmobile made by Husky. Then came the rest of my Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars.
As I got a little older it turned into slot cars and as I got a little older bb guns.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Bob, that's the most interesting pieces of firearms accessories I've ever seen. Thanks

Sure wish I had a babe that was so thoughtful.
Well, she was one that didn't pan out. About the same time another girl gave me these Luger cuff links:

And the thought occurs to me ~ these things are over fifty years old!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I got on to old Cars and other old Machinery pretty early.

1957, we moved to Palmdale California for six months...somewhere around then ( I was four ) I had become keenly aware of old Cars and Trucks and Busses and Motorcycles and GE Monitor Top Refrigerators, and all sorts of other stuff, and, was always eager to see the next one, which in those days, did not take long.

Somewhere back around that time, may have been on the drive from Texas to California, toward dusk, on Route 66, we were in our brand new ( boring as all get-out ) 1957 Rambler, us doing 60-ish or so, and, passing us up, doing probably an honest 75, was a 1930 or maybe '31 Big-Series Marmon Sedan.

It just took my breath away, and, I was bit!

I had asked my dad "What was that?"

He said "Looked like a '30 or '31 Marmon..."

Ohhhh, golly, kids now never get to see stuff like that, just in daily life, with a great big giant 'Who Cares?" around it now-a-days...but, I cared, man, that Car was just majestic, and just seemed so serene and enchanting, and passing us like that.

The year before that, I got all transfixed on a really huge Steam Traction Engine, sitting forlorn up in Iowa somewhere or other, some secondary Road we got on to, on the way from Texas to Chicago...I made a huge fuss for us to stop, and, we did stop a few minutes so I could admire it.

The best thing about the 1950s, and 1960s, and less so every decade since, was that there was still a lot of totally cool old stuff just innocently still 'there' more or less, or still in use. None of it was 'worth' anything much, and no one made a big deal out of it.

I got real good at telling the narrower-set, 'straw colored' Headlights at Night of older on-coming Cars, from those of Jeeps...Lol...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Seeing some of these photos and remembering back that far, I had that same Civil War playset which I had forgotten about until now. Thanks John. I used to set it up on my bedroom floor in West Hartford and play for hours. It started then and since I have always sided with the south. Kind of a bold sentiment for a boy from Connecticut. And like Wyatt I used to watch Combat! and play war in the woods around our house only I had a toy M1 Garand. I saved up a dollar to buy it at the local five and dime only to be let down because I didn't have the three cents for sales tax. The clerk saw how upset I was and gave it to me for the dollar. I had nickel/chrome plated cap pistols in a dual western rig that I would put on while I watched Jessie James on TV.

So, I guess it is easy to say my first material love were firearms, and that has held true through the years, cars, and motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.