Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you will find great friends scattered far and wide that treat you like a neighbor next store. Pre-dating my COLT collecting I have always loved pocket watches. For awhile as a young man/adolescent I owned a cheap one that over the years has disappeared. Not long ago I saw one of our members post a collectable pocket watch for sale. I was late to the party( no watch) and missed the offer. Months later I reached out to our own Matchlock and asked for advice on how to select a watch and where to look as I did not want to get taken to the cleaners in this endeavor. To my great surprise he brought to my attention an opportunity that reminded me of why we all belong to this forum. It is as much the camaraderie as it is the shared passion for COLTS. Those who have seen my posts before know that I am one of the worlds worst photographers but I do want to give you a sense of what I have been given the opportunity to own.

Thank you Matchlock!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't collect them, but am interested. I suspect there may be interesting history behind some of them.

For example, in researching some family history, I found a document regarding one of the family Texas Rangers (not the baseball team). It showed issue to him of a Colt revolver and a watch, I believe an "Elgin?" with the serial number of both the watch and the pistol listed.

rayb

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've always found pocket watches to be "elegant" in their design and function. Some years ago I bought a Harley Davidson one that runs on a battery (cheating) but it keep better time than any watch I had previously even though I no longer carry any kind of watch due to the ole smartphone thingie. My mom took my grandfather's gold (or gold looking) pocket watch with his wedding ring and my grandmother's necklace and ring and along with a picture of them in an old Model Ford circa 1916ish had them encased in a shadow box. While it's kind of neat I've been tempted to disassemble the shadow box and lock up the valuables in the safe and maybe have grandpas's pocket watch appraised and cleaned and running. Decisions, decisions.

Anyhow, this forum is absolutely the best for friends and unsolicited kindness of all types and I'm proud to be a member.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I have my father's Elgin pocket watch that he bought new when he hired out on the railroad in 1944. It travelled many a mile on the Texas & Pacific and Missouri Pacific, and occasionally still does on the Union Pacific.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I agree w/what u can learn on here,I have a couple old ones,1 of them I bought new in 1955 when I hired out on the RR,it's a 21 jewel Ball official RR watch,it's still running,the other one is an old stemwinder my GG Granpa carried thru the civil war,I've had it re-built & it is back working after hanging around my family for years,I also have his discharge papers from his service in the war which lists the battles he was in & they are signed by A Lincoln & Edwin Stanton Sec. of War.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Those who have seen my posts before know that I am one of the worlds worst photographers but I do want to give you a sense of what I have been given the opportunity to own.
Judging by your first pic, I would have to soundly disagree, or at least say you are a lot better than I!

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
You are most welcome Kevin, and I'm happy that you're enjoying your watch.

Bud

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here's an old Elgin which was passed down by my dad. I think it mighta been my grandpa's but he was never really clear on that part. The little stand stand is kinda nice- I have it displayed on a bookcase shelf in my living room. It also has a hand-made braided leather fob but unfortunately it wore through at the loop end where it attaches to the watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
RE: Post #2, this Thread; A Texas Ranger issued watch

It was an Elgin watch issued to this particular Texas Ranger

Entry on enlistment papers, Co D, Texas Rangers, Hebbronville, Texas; dated in 1922:

"Watch: Elgin; B. W: Raymond; 16 Size number. 23552XXX"
"Pistol, Colts 45 Single action_ _ _ _ _ Number 331XXX"
"Rifle - ; 30 Government, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Number 409XXX"

I don't normally do the "X" thing, but do so in this case since others in the family are involved. Apologies for their use.

rayb

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Interesting.

That's a very nice Elgin that the Texas Ranger was given. That watch was in fact manufactured in 1921 (the last three digits don't matter in this case as 001 to 999 is the same year of manufacture).

Just thought you'd like to know the year it was actually made.

Bud

Entry on enlistment papers, Co D, Texas Rangers, Hebbronville, Texas; dated in 1922:

I don't normally do the "X" thing, but do so in this case since others in the family are involved. Apologies for their use.

rayb

rayb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts