Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for collectors.If you were going to collect a certain gun or brand of gunwhat would you do?

1.Would you buy the best out there NIB and pay the big price?

2.Would you buy 100% guns with no box or papers for a little less money?

3.Would you buy a 99% gun that has been used very little say 6 rounds.

4.Or would you buy guns in great shape that have been shot and shoot them yourself.

I am curious to where we as gun lovers and collector draw our on line as to expense of our hobby.Will we stretch our budget to get the best or will we be happy with the best we can afford.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now my answer to the above questions.I will buy the NIB/100% gun about every time as long as I feel I am not being completely stupid as to price of the item.If I want a shooter I will buy a 90% gun and shoot it to death not worrying that I might scratch it or powder burn the cylinder.Now lets hear some more opinions.And yes I sometimes will stretch my budget.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good discussion point bighornhunter.

1) I will always buy the best I can afford. If it is NIB all the better. However, I will NEVER pay the "big price."

2) Yes I will buy high % guns without box or paperwork for less money than a NIB.

3) Yes I will buy a 99% gun that has been shot. With or without box and paper work.

4) Yes I will buy guns in great shape that have been shot and intend to shoot them myself.

I usually buy condition 1st and price 2nd. I do not classify myself as a "collector" for whatever that means. I do own a fair amount of guns that I've never shot. Not because I purchased them to be safe queens, but as the collection grows, I just don't have the opportunity to shoot everything I own. This applies to my rifles as well. Simply put, the day job gets in the way.

So one of your questions is where do we draw the financial line in the pursuit of our hobby. I draw it at what I can afford at the time without taking food out of the mouths of my family. I spend what I can afford at the time I can afford it. If the deal is right but the timing is wrong, Oh Well! There is always next time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
WS23, well stated. True collectors try to get as close to NIB as possible. Finances dictate how many guns and at what condition they are bought. That is why I try not to shoot NIB guns, because I can usually get a slightly used gun for less money to use as a shooter. There is nothing wrong with safe queens and those who would shoot a NIB collector type of firearm when they already have a similar gun in "shooter" condition is just waisting money.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I pretty much have the same outlook as WS23; I try to get the best condition at the best price with the intention of shooting each one I own. (Actually, Colts are the only handguns I own) Of my baker's dozen, the only ones I don't shoot-safe queens, I guess-are a mint pre-war Det. Spec., a NIB 2 1/2 in. Python, and a NIB early 3rd 4 3/4 in. SAA-and I'm just about ready to blast away with that one. These three were obtained well below what they should cost. But I really enjoy the ones I shoot more. -Asa

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Like most others I try to buy NIB at the best price. If the price is outrageous I pass it by and wait on another. Mostly though I try to get the best example at the best price. I have bought models with wear if they are special like a first year model or if it's to be a shooter for me. NIB or LNIB I will keep that way as I have others to shoot.
I guess I'm more of a accumulator than a collector. At least that is how my pockets look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was stated above that "TRUE COLLECTORS" buy MINT guns..BULL CRAP..True collectors collect what they personally love......On the other hand TRUE INVESTORS collect mint guns for a large profit,not because they love them..I have collected for many more years than I care to reveal,but during that time tried to balance the collection by getting the best conditioned but staying in the scope of the collection.Otherwise keeping the focus on track.The last few years I have gotten into S&W single actions. That doesn't mean that the Colts are out the door but actually are embellished by the comparison of the "other company".Let's face it Colt SAA is THE BEST of THE BEST.BUt S&W tried like heck.modoc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts