Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are pictures of my well used 2nd gen Colt .357 that has had a hammer and trigger job. The Cylinder has a very pronounced turn line, the barrel has muzzle wear and other nicks and the CH is faded. Also the cylinder fit is sloppy. It shoots ok for me-as accurate as I am. I also have a new perfect Colt replacement barrel, a perfect Colt .357 cylinder (different SN), and pin/bushing. Would you replace the barrel and cylinder is my question. I would end up with a better looking pistol with a tighter cylinder. It would still have faded CH the trigger/hammer job and non matching cylinder. What do you think? THANKS Revolver Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol Gun Revolver Cylinder

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I think your SSA looks great just the way it is; I'd leave it alone. I really like the look of an honestly used, but not abused SSA.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I, too, like the original patina of your gun. If you prefer its look with the nicer parts, go for it. Just retain the originals.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I don't know what you paid for the newer barrel and cylinder. But being in .357 and 5 1/2" length lets assume you got them right for $100. A gunsmith will charge you at least $100 to fit the barrel. Maybe another $25-$50 to fit the cylinder. Figure UPS overnight delivery to your gunsmith with $1000 insurance and your looking at another $150 round trip. Now you have another $375-$400 in the gun and you still have a used .357 and now it has mixed serial numbers. I would take all the things you have there, gun and parts, and sell them. Use the money & buy a gun that suits your likes. Just another opinion.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I reckon I'm sort of the maverick here, but I figure life's too short to shoot a gun you're not happy with. If I were in your boots, I'd put in the new barrel and cylinder, and at first chance, send the thing off to Doug Turnbull for restoring the case colors. Then look around for some nice looking grips.

If you're reluctant to do that, then, as suggested, sell the whole kit and buy yourself a fine looking newer gun.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It's always important to know what your use is going to be. Will you stop shooting it much after the change because it looks to pretty? That's no fun. And if you keep shooting 'er the new parts will soon look like the old parts.

So my 1st choice, just leave the old parts on it and tighten up the cylinder like Hoppy wrote (or even reblue the cyl too). Faded CCH is just normal for a shooter. And yours has that great classic look. "just enough wear" I believe is the phrase. That's what I would do. Sell new parts to fund the repair. My favorite guns have honest wear and I can shoot, carry or fondle with clear conscience.

Next another good choice as Bob Wright wrote, have Doug or Dave Lanara ( just as good or better, cheaper and faster turn around) tighten up/tune cyl, reblue, and CCH. Sell new parts in their new condition and get maximum value to put towards restoration.

I like hwjhfs's suggestion too. Turn it over and allow someone else to get an original 2nd gen who can't afford a better one and would be perfectly happy with it. Then buy what you want.

Very, very, last choice, mix parts.

Just my thoughts Pard and worth what you paid.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.