Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps it is an age thing but frequently I ponder at what stage I will downsize my collection and just what I will keep. For fun, what would you keep if you could only keep five handguns and two long guns? Here is my list:
1. 1953 Colt Government Model, it is beautiful and certainly need a 45 auto
2. 1970 Colt SAA in 357 magnum, must have a cowboy gun
3. Glock 19, great for personal protection, reliable, high-capacity and I like 9mm
4. Sig P365, reliable, concealable and shares the 9mm ammo
5. S&W 586, for obvious reasons and it shares ammo with the SAA
LONG GUNS...
1. Ruger Mini 14, I am not an AR guy and this is a good all-round rifle
2. Ruger 10/22, I would want a 22 rifle and this one is solid

Some pretty good stuff did not make the cut and if I really did this I would be sad for a while...Dan

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
This would change often but, heck..I'll play.
1. Colt SAA 2nd gen 7 1/2 .45Colt with stags - best SAA I've shot and just flat out enjoy it
2. Colt CCO .45acp - would scratch my 1911 itch, it's great sized for CCW and has history
3. Sig P365 - best compact/decent capacity 9mm going
4. Sig P226 - nickel slide, 1994 gun - was my first duty gun and won't be going anywhere before I do, it's earned it
5. S&W 686+ Mountain Gun - just a very nice all around revolver that can handle 7 38's or any heavy .357's if out in the woods with 4 legged creatures, stainless, sized right to carry all day and take care of business, hunt with, defend with and then a pussycat with .38s on range days.

1. Winchester M70 - early 50s gun, has hunted all over the globe, has put meat on the table for 3 generations of family and is still doing so every year (on it's 5th or 6th scope by this point). Even as I would start to hunt less, it would still fulfill the task if needed and then gets passed on down.
2. Henry .22 lever gun - not sure which one just yet, as I have a few and really enjoy them. Probably the Frontier with octagon barrel and a small silencer on it, for polite plinking around neighbors. Fun gun, reliable, accurate and great for small game if hunting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gee, just ask me which of my kids or pets I would keep. I'm not telling any of my guns I even read this post.

Seriously though. I try to do this exercise and I can't do it. It hurts too much.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Fun - would be a different list .
Practical, book of Eli journey - grabbed from my garrison .

Actually though . 22 on private ,owned property , or shooting feathered or clay birds with a smooth bore .... ya really can’t top fun factor . Plus ,they are both affordable skill builders which offer

SPECIAL COMBAT GOVERNMENT
Frontier Scout L&m

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay. Assuming I have given my sons and friends the guns they are being left when I go....
1) Colt M16A1 carbine (with uppers in various caliber and types of uppers)
2) 1873 Winchester (Uberti copy) in .357
3) S&W Model 66 in .357 (sentimental reasons and have a bunch of spare parts)
4) Glock 19 (with a .22 conversion kit)
5) 1911 variant (probably my 1944 Rem Rand or my Colt nickel Series 70...leaning towards the latter as I have both .45 and 9mm slides)
6) Single Action Army variant in either .357 or .45 Colt
7) S&W Model 29-1 6 1/2"

Nope, I can't play this this sick, twisted game.
Oh!
Microphone Cap Public address system Performing arts Thumb

OH!!!
Forehead Nose Cheek Chin Outerwear

OOOOHHHHH!!!!!!
Forehead Face Nose Cheek Lip

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is very tough letting go of a lifetime collection. Some folks may not choose to do so. I would like to be in control of the selling of my guns at the chosen time. Even though my son is a gun guy he is into modern. I guess I could have asked what are your five favorite guns. Much less painful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am just joking. You are right, though. It is tough. Partially because we spent a lifetime building our collection. Also because we are facing our own mortality. I've been sick in the past and sold guns I didn't think my sons would have any interest in. When you are laying in a hospital bed not knowing if you will see the next morning, all of this stuff is just stuff. I have also had several friends who passed away which doesn't help.

I will have to eventually thin the herd and have left detailed instructions with trusted friends what to do with my stuff. Until that day, I'm going to shoot them all as much as I can :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts