Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a huge "snake collector", but I may have come across one.

Blue, great condition, probably unfired.

Box with the important info missing, sn written on bottom of box like the old days, and only factory paper is the target?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I recently bought a nickel NIB viper, and would not sell it for $1,000.00. They are so rare. Do a search on G.A., and see how many you come up with. If its at all reasonable in price, buy it! Value will go nowhere but up.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd give no more than $400 for it but (like you) I'm not a snake guy. Vipers aren't difficult to locate. Just my .02

BTW: If you are a snake guy then it's probably worth more but not too much more.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'll take all the Vipers I can get at $400 or $500. Believe me a lot of snake collectors would like to have one. From what I have heard, they were only made for about a year. No one has come up with a total of how many were made yet. Yeah; I'd say they are pretty rare. Chou

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I'll second that motion Robba.
In the real world, the Viper is NOT an easy find.
You can go to a 20-30 decent sized gunshows and 100 gunshops that sell used guns and not find 1 Viper.
That in itself tells me that they are NOT an easy find.
I'm sure if you have a fat wallet, you can find anything you want. But that's a whole nudder story.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Just to give you an idea of how inconsistent pricing is on the Vipers, and most other Colt's, too, I saw two Vipers at a recent show, separated by about 4 rows and 60 feet. One was NIB, and the other as new, but no box...touted as unfired, but hard to tell. The NIB was priced at $550.00, and the no box Viper was priced at a firm $700.00. I almost bought the NIB Viper to make a few bucks, but I knew I would get it home, change my mind, and put it in the safe with the one I already have, and I'm seriously low on vault space.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Ohio,
That's the difference between being BOOK smart and being knowledgable about the item you're selling.
There's a LOT of items in the current BLUE BOOK that I would buy all day long at BOOK prices and then there's some items I would not touch at book prices.
As a matter of fact, you could be caught stealin' if you buy some of these guns at book prices. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Knowledge=$$$ Money $$$ most of the time.
Book smarts only, can cost you a lot money. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Talk about topdollar.

Spotted a NIB Diamondback 6" .22LR for a shocking $1195 on GA. I think they went for a lot less just a couple of months ago...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just like Vipers, go find me a bunch of Diamondbacks. There are some of them on GA, but almost none at gun shows. Bought a 2-1/2" 38 cal. Diamondback at a show recently, and paid $625.00 for it. Thats a lot more than I wanted to pay, but I'm not sure when I'll see another one in this pristine condition. Or for that matter, another one period. Soooo! you pays your money, or runs away without a Diamondback.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You've got that right. I purchased a NIB Commando for $600 and that's close to "book value". I would have never have paid the $1010 on the 98% gun that sold last night.

I love it when gun values are driven up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay Condition as previously stated

Let me get your opinion

500.00 Opinion?

600.00 Opinion?

700.00 Opinion?

Higher Opinion?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Keep in mind that your more fond of snakes than myself. I have none and have no desire. A couple of years ago I purchased 2 50's model Pythons and both sold in the last 4 months because I need to raise cash.

$400 wasn't one of your choices for me. If you're a 'somewhat' snake collector then maybe $450-$500 max. If your addicted to snakes then you will pay more so it's up to ones opinion. It's all in what you collect. Snake collectors wouldn't give $280 for a 1932 70% nickeled Square Butt Detective Special but I did or $420 for a nickeled 98% model 357.

My desire is the search and find a gun that I've been looking for (on my wish list) for a very long time. Take the model 57 rifle for instance. I've been looking for a year and have not found one. Qty 5000 built and you'd think their all over the place. Yes it's on my wish list but my desire is to find one in a magnum chambering. Yes, I realize they never 'built' the model in a magnum chambering but I bet there's a couple out there and left the factory as such.

Later,

·
Registered
91 Posts
Addicted I wish I would of known about this dealer I would of taken the Viper and both of the Detective Specials he had for sale because they look in my eyes to be undervalued.
Also this site is old news since it has not been updated since July 22. To answer Bowhunter I think that market value of a blued Viper is around $600 and $900 for a nickel Viper add $150 if it has a box.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Prices vary for a myriad of reasons. If I had to pick one, it would be the use of the Blue Book, and a few other price guide publications, that have probably added more confusion to "market values" than any other single factor. I should say "misuse" of these books, because most who look up a gun price, fail to see any other price column except the one for 100%, and they never take the time to read the front part of the book that tells them how to use the "guideline" prices provided by the book. Condition, lack of box and accoutrements, geographic considerations, etc., are ignored in the rush to price one and all as a collector grade gun.
Also, the internet has vastly expanded the number of gun buyers, while the supplies remain constant, and at the same time, greatly increased the number of sellers going on fishing expeditions with guns grossly overpriced, but these prices occasionally get a bite, and are inspiring others to do the same, eventually creating higher true market prices.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Addicted. I have no quarrel with the way you or anyone else for that matter collects guns. The way my son and I do it is fairly simple. We attempt to buy 98% or better mostly revolvers at anywhere from 30% to 50%,or less of what they are selling for on the net. We also buy what is attractive to us, and shoot mostly all of them. That includes Colts, Smith, Rugers, and even a Tungston 45 Colt Taurus we got for a song. We rarely if ever sell a gun because we see much beauty of design, and function in pre-85 revolvers, and the rarer models are far to difficult to find. By the way we don't have an unlimited amount of money to devote to the gun hobby, so like most others on the forums we have to choose what we buy carefully. I believe you saw or bought $400 Vipers, or whatever. What I said before is that one does not see these revolvers in ones normal course of browsing the local gun or pawn shops every day, OR AT ALL, this is what makes them rare to most of us who could be called casual collectors. I own a small business, and revolvers are one of several hobbies in my life. In my mind the second most lovely thing than a beautiful woman is a most sought after revolver appearing in a gun or pawn shop I might visit. By the way we do not intend to shoot the nickel Viper because we have more than enough shooters, and I don't want to mar the finish. Anyway, good luck in your travels down your individual collecting road. In our case I would just as soon not find to many more desirable revolvers each month than we do now. Wifey thinks collecting guns is a sin!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Robba, Bowhunter asked a question of opinion and there's no right or wrong opinion. I respect your and everyone elses opinion as you respected mine. I use the blue book only as reference but not as a price guide.

I use the internet 'closed' auctions for my price guide. As said, one must account for inflated prices. Maybe the gun was inflated for a reason. Such as the 'mystery gun', maybe it was one of a kind. If it was a one off it would be worth 2-3 times normal values. Turned out it was one of 1937 and that instantly turned me off on the gun. Plus there were concerns that came across in the letter. Plus it was over valued at $750.

At one time I was looking for Vipers. Not because it was a snake but because it was only built one year. I have no idea how many were built but probably one could call them scarce. For what it is, the gun is probably undervalued. I've searched for Vipers for sale at this time and only this one for $450 popped up. Checked all closed auctions as well. The market has tightened up a lot since I looked a couple years ago. That alone will drive up values.

I was at a gun auction (my first) a couple years ago in Kansas City and I couldn't believe what Smith Triple Lock Targets were going for. 95% of the guns were Smiths so that was the crowd. For that reason I picked up a Colt Courier for a decent price. If it was a Colt crowd bidding on quality Shooting Masters the prices would have been inflated as well.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It will be interesting to see what Pythons, Diamondbacks, and Vipers will be selling for in five years. Diamondbacks particularly have become very scarce around here. The blue book is a great help to buyers because the average dealer prices a gun right at the book price, and doesn't take into consideration barrel length, finish, and other factors that drive up the price. Also the average book info is probably a year or more old from compiling to printing. Like I have said before, the fun is in the hunt, and the hunt goes on!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hey Addicted: Check GA for the nickel 4" barrel Viper @ $1,689.00. Thats the exact one I have. Wish I could find some of those $400 - $450 Vipers people keep seeing I would probably buy them all!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The gun hasn't sold yet.

You'll be the first to know if I find a good deal on a Viper.

This is your only non-shooter as I recall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts