Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did the Colt Detective Specials get their barrel shrounds? and is there a designation (such as 2nd change, etc.) which would indicate the presence of the shroud?

I'm looking for a 2" blued Detective Special with the shround and Pachmayr grips just like one a friend owns. I'm trying to trade a Browning HP Practical 9mm with him for his Colt Detective Special, but in case that cannot be done, I'm trying to figure out how I can know which version Det. Special I'm looking for when there may not be a photo.

[This message has been edited by Thirties (edited 12-27-2004).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
my book shows 3rd issue as it with walnut wraparound grips made 1973 to 1984 blue or nickel, i like that one.... 4th issue as it to with neoprene grips made 1993 to 1995.blue or chrome.new in the box for them shows $,450.i gess they stoped makeing them in the late 80s and then started back up for three years.hope this helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that helps a lot. I'm looking for a used one, as a shooter (pliking). Around here they seem to be around $250. Is that about right?

Does Colt factory handle repairs on used guns, if needed?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ive seen police trade in Det. Specs. at the $250 range,but most show carry wear(no problem for a shooter), but many are "out of time",and you made to avail yourself of the factory service or Cylinder/Slide that majic gave. Good Luck. Bud

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, folks. A fried and neighbor has one that I like -- it was the source of my envy. I'm working on a trade for a Browning HP Practical that I have. Failing that, I know of a couple in the $250 territory that I'll look into next.

The one here local is in fine condition mechanically -- lots of blue worn off. As I said, this will be a gun I shoot, not a collectable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your friend says no, you could probably sell that Hi Power pretty easily for quite a bit more than $250.

I bought a used, like new, 4th issue DS with Pachmayrs & Medallion in the 90's. Here's a thumbnail of it with the stock grips:

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us joys and sorrows alike, it is what a man does with them- not what they do to him- that is the true measure of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Poohgyrr, yes, that's exactly like the one I'm trying to trade for -- 4th issue from the '90s, hardly ever fired, shoots very well in my hands, Pachmayr grips with the medalliaon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.