Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did the Colt Detective Specials get their barrel shrounds? and is there a designation (such as 2nd change, etc.) which would indicate the presence of the shroud?

I'm looking for a 2" blued Detective Special with the shround and Pachmayr grips just like one a friend owns. I'm trying to trade a Browning HP Practical 9mm with him for his Colt Detective Special, but in case that cannot be done, I'm trying to figure out how I can know which version Det. Special I'm looking for when there may not be a photo.

[This message has been edited by Thirties (edited 12-27-2004).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
my book shows 3rd issue as it with walnut wraparound grips made 1973 to 1984 blue or nickel, i like that one.... 4th issue as it to with neoprene grips made 1993 to 1995.blue or chrome.new in the box for them shows $,450.i gess they stoped makeing them in the late 80s and then started back up for three years.hope this helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that helps a lot. I'm looking for a used one, as a shooter (pliking). Around here they seem to be around $250. Is that about right?

Does Colt factory handle repairs on used guns, if needed?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
$250 is a steal for any Detective Special.
Colt can handle all the repair work. You can also have Cylinder and Slide or Pittsburg Handgun Headquarters do any repair work as they are factory certified.

·
Registered
88 Posts
there sre guys on this forum that know alot about these colts but i would by one in a hart beat for that price if it is in nice shape.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ive seen police trade in Det. Specs. at the $250 range,but most show carry wear(no problem for a shooter), but many are "out of time",and you made to avail yourself of the factory service or Cylinder/Slide that majic gave. Good Luck. Bud

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, folks. A fried and neighbor has one that I like -- it was the source of my envy. I'm working on a trade for a Browning HP Practical that I have. Failing that, I know of a couple in the $250 territory that I'll look into next.

The one here local is in fine condition mechanically -- lots of blue worn off. As I said, this will be a gun I shoot, not a collectable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your friend says no, you could probably sell that Hi Power pretty easily for quite a bit more than $250.

I bought a used, like new, 4th issue DS with Pachmayrs & Medallion in the 90's. Here's a thumbnail of it with the stock grips:

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us joys and sorrows alike, it is what a man does with them- not what they do to him- that is the true measure of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poohgyrr, yes, that's exactly like the one I'm trying to trade for -- 4th issue from the '90s, hardly ever fired, shoots very well in my hands, Pachmayr grips with the medalliaon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts