Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My .38 special Trooper is serial # 641xx.
Colt says this was made in 1967, but the .38 Troopers were discontinued before then.
So who is right?

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
It could be from '67. Colt would make them on contract from police departments whose Chiefs had a case of Magnumphobia. Any overruns could have been sold on the commercial market or yours could have been surplussed by the police department that it might have been made for.

I had a .38 Trooper made a few years earlier if I remember correctly.

Reactions: ralph7

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes perfect sense since this has police numbers on the butt.
OCSO then a 2 digit number. Orange County Sheriff's Office?
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
The only way to know for sure what law enforcement agency it was purchased for is to get an Archives letter if that's important enough to you. There are people (including here) that specialize in collecting law enforcement marked handguns.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
The only way to know for sure what law enforcement agency it was purchased for is to get an Archives letter if that's important enough to you. There are people (including here) that specialize in collecting law enforcement marked handguns.
I honestly never thought of that I has always been looked down upon in my area

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,753 Posts
I also had a .38 Special Trooper with the OSCO butt stamp but no issue number.
These were sold as ex-law enforcement surplus.
Mine was 64703, made in 1967.

Colt continued to offer the Trooper in .38 Special right up to the end of production in 1969.
These were on the later "I" frame with the firing pin in the frame, and had a barrel stamp of "Trooper .38 Special" followed by the caliber stamped below that.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also had a .38 Special Trooper with the OSCO butt stamp but no issue number.
These were sold as ex-law enforcement surplus.
Mine was 64703, made in 1967.

Colt continued to offer the Trooper in .38 Special right up to the end of production in 1969.
These were on the later "I" frame with the firing pin in the frame, and had a barrel stamp of "Trooper .38 Special" followed by the caliber stamped below that.
Did you mean OCSO and if so, did you ascertain what it stood for?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,753 Posts
Sorry, fat fingered the keys..... my Trooper .38 Special was stamped "OCSO" with no issue number.
I never found out what the stamp was for, but figured it was for some "O" city or county Sheriff's office.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What was said above about Trooper 38s being made on the I frame is correct. I have a 1953 Trooper 38 with the hammer-mounted firing pin. What Colt did in 1961 was essentially discontinue the Trooper 38 with the hammer-mounted firing pin (E frame) and they rebadged the 357 model as the Trooper. It was then offered in 357 or 38, with frame-mounted firing pin (I frame) which is what you have.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
My Trooper .38 Special is around 1960 iirc. Hammer mounted firing pin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts