Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found a New Service in a local Pawn Shop. It's serial number puts it to a 1911 production year. There is little to no blueing left. But the handgun has no visiable pitting, etc the finish is just worn off. It has black rubber grips that appear approprate to the period. The grips are not chipped. The barrel is about 5 to 6 inches sorry I didn't have a way to measure it with me. It's marked 45 Colt and the cylinder appeared to be bored to a length that would be consistant with 45 LC not 45 ACP. The barrel had very little wear and the crown was good. The timing was right and the cylinder lock up was tight with all six chambers. The hammer would not push forward off of the sear in SA with gentle pressure. The cylinder bores had some minor pitting. The bottom of the frame was bored and threaded to accept a lanyard ring but none was present. The asking price was $499 which I felt might have been a little high. The guy behind the counter said that the owner prices by the book and usually won't come off of the listed price. Thanks to anyone who can provide me any help with this.

Dave

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Dave; a 5.5" New Service in .45 Colt is the most "common" configuration as far as caliber/bbl. length.

It is great that the "hard rubber" stocks are in great shape,as they can be brittle,and will run $100 or more for a set of nice ones. The gun should have a lanyard ring on the bottom of the butt. Is there a hole,or plug there,if there is not a ring?

The New Service is a very rugged gun,with "large internal parts",and unless abused,will rarely malfunction or get out of time.

The price seems a little high to me also,in light of the way you describe the "finish",or lack of it-but IMO,I'd prefer a gun like this to a poorly reblued specimem.

If you are looking for a nice shooter,with "prudent" loads(remember that steel is nearly a century old) this seems like a good candidate. New Services,in original form,are getting rarer these days on the market,but without seeing the gun,I'd probably price it a $100 lower.

Bud

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bud.

The lanyard hole was just that a threaded hole with no plug or ring.

The price also seemed high to me but I'm no expert on these matters.

Dave

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i agree it`s about 100-200 too high. the short bbl and the 7.5 bbls seem to bring a premium. i have a 1916 7.5 .45 in very simular condition[little blue but mechanically fine]i paid 400 for. i belive i paid too much but wanted it, what the heck you only live once. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'd probably want to see the seller trim the price a bit, just for general principals if nothing else. Even fifty bucks would be a reasonable concession. Part of the fun of buying guns is whittling away at the asking price. Besides, so the owner prices by "the book". The book? Which book? The book won't buy his New Service anyway.

There's something to be said for a good honest old New Service that can be carefully used and enjoyed without fear of lowering its collectible market value. If you have little time or opportunity to shop for New Service revolvers then it might even be worth paying the asking price. I'd far rather add a New Service such as you describe, to my collection for $500, than to pay $400 for one on an Internet auction that was purchased only on the basis of scrutinizing a photo and some jazbo's description. You've had the good fortune to assess the function and soundness of the one you found. It sounds like a dandy to me.

The New Service is my personal favorite Colt revolver (actually, I'm a S&W man-but don't tell anybody here). I'd sooner give $500 for the New Service you describe than give same for any "mountain gun" or other modern double action revolver in .45 Colt. I'm sorta stupid that way. I've had more shooting experience with a New Service than any other Colt revolver and they will reliably go the distance.

There is a stately elegence that is unique to the huge New Service revolver. It also bespeaks a quiet authority. You would enjoy using the .45 Colt cartridge in a New Service. If I were you I'd negotiate some sort of reduction in the price, and if they won't budge I wouldn't feel cheated if I determined to give the $499.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I'd sooner give $500 for the New Service you describe than give same for any "mountain gun" or other modern double action revolver in .45 Colt.

There is a stately elegence that is unique to the huge New Service revolver. It also bespeaks a quiet authority.

[/ QUOTE ] quite a high praise from a "s&w man" but the truth none the less /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
It's your call .

Me though , I see honest 60%-70% finish guns somewhat frequently advertised for $650-750 . I don't mind some honest finish wear , but I like a little bluing to balance it out . Just my opinion .

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I still have not decided what to do. I was waiting to see if I could find a pre 1969 Trooper with a four inch barrel for a decent price. But...

Dave

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Dave; Maybe you will have the "good luck" I did back in the Fall. Picked up a 98% pre 69 Trooper in 98%,for $235 OTD. It was in .38 Special,and large store was having a helluva time moving it,in that caliber(.38 Specials,unless in snubs,tend to be slow sellers-unless they are to people in "the know"). Gun super shape,and came with ugly Sile" target grips. Thankfully I have a very well stocked parts cabinet(s) and had some correct service stocks for it.

Good Luck,and unless you get real lucky,a .38 Trooper will probably be your best buy vs. the "rare" .22 or the more "saleable",.357 Mag. 4" barrels a lot more prevalent on the .357 Mag Troopers too.

But then you might find a genuine "357" Model in 4"-not the Trooper.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm taking a motorcycle trip from Baton Rouge to Pittsburgh in July by myself with a credit card. Not always a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In addition to sticking to the back roads of America I'm also going to be stopping at every gun store or pawn shop that I see in a quest for revolvers that I want. I'm going to stop by and see if the price on the New Service is negotiable tomorrow. I have a fondness for the 45LC cartridge.

Lonewolf, I doubt I'll get that lucky but ya never know...

Dave /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts