Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a super looking 3rd gen SAA listed on GB. Looks to be a screw less frame, special order Black Powder ejector rod, super case hard, but in the one picture what is in the barrel. It appears to be rust, am I seeing things?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Probably dried factory rig grease/cosmoline. If it's rust, it's a very light surface and could be easily removed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I thought about dried grease but on my computer it appeared to be a reddish color

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would appreciate anyones thought on what this gun might be worth, I did a bit of studying on the web and it looks like the screw less frame is somewhat rare.

Thanks

Reactions: p.d.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Screw less frames are VERY RARE... in Fact Colt only has one Screw less Frame left in the VAULT...AND it EITHER will never be used or WHEN THE right person comes along and wants a 100 %, Master Engraved SAA and has deep pockets. The last I heard in 2006, is that the gun you see for sale was done in a pair for someone on Special order and the last frame was put away. Could it have been sold already...maybe...but I don't think so..That information came from an Vice President....I like to have that gun up for auction...Mmmmmmm...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kid for the info. It will be interesting to see what this gun brings

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Screw less frames are VERY RARE... in Fact Colt only has one Screw less Frame left in the VAULT...AND it EITHER will never be used or WHEN THE right person comes along and wants a 100 %, Master Engraved SAA and has deep pockets. The last I heard in 2006, is that the gun you see for sale was done in a pair for someone on Special order and the last frame was put away. Could it have been sold already...maybe...but I don't think so..That information came from an Vice President....I like to have that gun up for auction...Mmmmmmm...:rolleyes:
How does the screwless frame work? Why was this done?
It's very interesting. I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Seems like an awful lot of trouble and not much of an improvement. I guess that's why there aren't many of them around.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree with twaits. Looks like jacketed bullet residue from test firing. Screwless frames are considered for engraving. No screws to mess up the canvas so to speak.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For all the SAA fans, the gun brought 2595

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think he got it for a decent price, the only other one I found after a bunch of web research sold for 3200 in 2010

1 - 14 of 14 Posts