Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a chance to possibly buy a Colt 1911 A1.
It is in fair/good condition, everything is kind of loose. It is an old military gun. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We need a lot more information. Condition of the finish, serial number with the last 2 or 3 digits "x"-ed out, manufacturer of the frame and slide, all original parts or mis-matched. Prices of U.S. military 1911's can go from $300 for a beaten up mismatched parts gun to $20,000 for a NIB ultra rare, all original make.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome, OkieDispatcher! If it's less than $1,000, better start writing the check, if you're well-healed enough for the expense and can live with what the .45 does and cannot do. For cost, they're gonna' run like hounds to the foxes! GI .45's ARE pretty loosey-goosey, but they shoot EVERY time. Peach basket groups are a distinct possibility. Most will group less than 3" at 50 meters if you've got a smithie in your corner. (That made sound like a tall tale, but I knew an armorer at West Point that had a standing bet HIS guns would group less than 1" from a machine rest at 50 meters and he never lost a bet.)I owned one of his guns and it was the best I've ever had, seen or heard about. (UGLY, though.) Further, the .45 is HEAVY. The, "condition-of-readiness," is an issue. Range sucks, compared to a .357, even a .38 Special. Choice of bullet? There isn't any. It's loud but it's kick and bark isn't as irritatiing as a .357 - at least, not to what's left of my hearing. (No, I'm not deaf from the shooting sports - it's from 25 years standing in front of school BANDS!) The 1911 fits my short, fat hand like Kim Novak's - err, never mind. It has rather poor penetration, which can be good or bad. You can use a .22 converter which is a God send. Enough from me. I'd've stopped sooner but I couldn't hear everybody saying, "Hey! Shut up and sit down!"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Okie!! If you have any doubts about buying that 1911A1, let me lnow and I'll drive down from Mooreland and pick it up. If the slide and frame appear to match, as far as finish and condition, plastic maroon colored grips, It's probably a go.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts