Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be more collectable, the Peacemaker or the Frontier?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, Yes 22 caliber. I have an opportunity to buy either, but can only afford one. The Peacemaker has both the 22lr and magnum cylinders.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I assume you are talking .22 caliber. Peacemaker is more in demand.
+1 -- Don Wilkerson estimated that approximately 10,000 less Peacemaker were produce than New Frontiers without the cross-bolt safety. Also, people just seem to like the Peacemaker 22 better because it looks like a down sized Single Action Army.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Neither would be collectible after I got through carrying it in a holster and using it for it's intended purpose :D. I would get the more practical of the two, and that would most likely mean adjustable sights, especially with it being a convertible

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Both were produced from about 1971 to 1976. The New frontier was reintroduced in 1982-86 with a cross bolt safety but with no 22 mag. cylinder. And the last year of production it did not have the case colored finish. I have owned a scout buntline with a 9 in. barrel and a 6 in. barrel, plus a peacemaker with a 4 2/5 barrel. If I had to choose one it would be the 6 in. barrel. I agree that the peacemaker is in better demand than the scouts and new frontiers. I had to bend my front sight on my peacemaker to make it shoot to the sights. While I like the 22 mag. cylinder, I would admit that it seldom is ever used.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I echo Malysh on personal preference. For a shooter, I'd prefer the New Frontier but as a collectible, as you state, the Peacemaker is harder to find and more 'collectible' in my opinion. The pic you posted is knock-out gorgeous! :cool:

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Don't buy with the idea of a future collectable - you won't enjoy the piece.

Buy what you like, in the best condition you can find - you'll enjoy it and what'll reap your potential profit will be its condition.

Just don't leave the piece in a wet holster or pull it behind the pickup on a gravel road, and you'll be fine.

As to the original question - I own a short-barreled 'Peacemaker', but always liked the short-barreled 'New Frontier'.

Go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.