Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: What\'s the Best All In One Cleaner?

For an all around cleaner, I like using my home made brew called Ed's Red. It is made from equal parts of K1-Odorless Kerosene, Automatic Transmission fluid, acetone and Varsol otherwise known as "odorless mineral spirits." Some folks like to add a bit of lanolin for added rust protection and some, like me, leave out the acetone when working on guns that have wood grips. It works very well on powder fouling and getting bores clean that have been shot with lead bullets. For guns that have been shot with jacketed bullets, they will need to have their bores cleaned with a copper removing solvent like Shooter's Choice or Hoppes #9, but everything else can be cleaned up with Ed's Red. It is cheap and really gets the job done. I especially like the way it cleans up old and rusted guns in a small soak tank that I have filled with Ed's Red. Mix a batch up and I think you will like the way it works.

[This message has been edited by The Virginian (edited 12-01-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Another formula for acetone free Ed's Red:

1/2 Gal. K1 kerosene.
1/2 Gal. mineral spirits.
1 Qt. Rislone (auto store).
1 Pt. Marvel's Mystery Oil (auto store).
1 Qt. Automatic tansmission fluid.

Rest assured that your wife will INSIST that you use this stuff outside though as it makes Hoppe's #9 smell like eau de cologne.

Good luck with it.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
72 Posts

The Ed's Red mix is a no brainer especially when you are cleaning up a .22 like the one you have. Off the shelf almost anything will work, maybe not as well as ER. Brownells actually has pre-mixed ER, but it is still cheaper to make yourself. A trip to Lowe's or Home Depot and one to Wal-Mart or an auto parts/supply store would get you started easily and probably have a life time supply.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schmaltz~Herring:
I failed chemistry, so what about an off the shelf option?????

[Cleaning a 22lr Diamondback]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recently got an old Smith that had gunk built up inside after about 30 years of laying in a drawer. Here's what I did.

Took off stocks, took off side plate, and used a whole can of automotive spray brake cleaner, about $.99 at your autostore, then I finished cleaning with Hoppe's#9, oiled and put it back together.

For less dirty guns, I use "Gun Scrubber" available at Wally World.

Make sure you protect those stocks though as some of these cleaners will strip the finish.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 12-02-2004).]

·
Registered
448 Posts

I prefer the synthetic CLP, EEZOX. It works great and doesn't smell that bad.

·
Registered
448 Posts

I prefer the synthetic CLP, EEZOX. It works great and doesn't smell that bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Took off stocks, took off side plate, and used a whole can of automotive spray brake cleaner, about $.99 at your autostore, then I finished cleaning with Hoppe's#9, oiled and put it back together.

For less dirty guns, I use "Gun Scrubber" available at Wally World.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i believe brake cleaner and gun scrubber are the same thing...cept brake cleaner is a lot cheaper.

i prefer M-Pro 7 to clean my guns.

simply green is also a great cleaner as long as you don't have aluminum on your guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts