Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
If it's a Colt why not post it here when you have a couple more (15 total) posts: Want to Sell

An alternative would be to use an online auction site such as Gunbroker.com.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I've had the best luck at gun shows or the shooting ranges. There is no transfer fee or background check fees, no sales tax. And no commission to pay a third party.

I always ask a little "wiggle room" price since most folks will haggle, but keep it a fair price. The last guns I've sold I estimated between $600 ~$700. Got $650 for two and swapped even exchange for a $700 value.

Take a little caution and ask for ID from your prospective buyer, or if not too sure, ask for his carry permit.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had the best luck at gun shows or the shooting ranges. There is no transfer fee or background check fees, no sales tax. And no commission to pay a third party.

I always ask a little "wiggle room" price since most folks will haggle, but keep it a fair price. The last guns I've sold I estimated between $600 ~$700. Got $650 for two and swapped even exchange for a $700 value.

Take a little caution and ask for ID from your prospective buyer, or if not too sure, ask for his carry permit.

Bob Wright
Gun show sounds good but I need to transfer ownership via FFL. Is there usually one there?
Thanks. I'll put it back up here too. This time I'll follow the rules and not get the boot. lol
I've talked to a few others that say no less than $1k so that super deal passed.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Put it on armslist, put it on here, put it on arfcom, list it to maximize traffic, not one limited forum. List it high and if you do not get the bites reduce it 50 dollars a whack until you start seeing that traffic.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Online auctions will almost always return the highest net. The common threads of "Can you believe what Gun X brought?" are proof of that, meaning that an auction brought more than anyone would have expected. Sell the guns on GunBroker for maximum return.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
J/C. he is selling a 1911A1. I could be wrong but I do not think it will generate the same buzz as most of the pistols that those threads center around. You also have to deal with percentages and fees for using those sites to sell I believe. If it is a pistol that will generate interest I believe it will do as well on a free list site than auction, but again I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
J/C. he is selling a 1911A1. I could be wrong but I do not think it will generate the same buzz as most of the pistols that those threads center around. You also have to deal with percentages and fees for using those sites to sell I believe. If it is a pistol that will generate interest I believe it will do as well on a free list site than auction, but again I could be wrong.
I see where you are coming from, as the younger crowd says; but to be honest, I've always preferred Gunbroker for buying OR selling. Special firearm or not, as compared to a local gun show or local range where you'll attract local buyers, Gunbroker has a MUCH broader range of people from all over the country looking, in some cases, for just that gun! The fees are nominal and it is a very easy thing to do FFL to FFL transfers that it isn't even a consideration in my mind. :cool:

·
Registered
376 Posts
and see the most profit?
As the Judge has already ruled: online auctions

Gunbroker, 7 day auction, lots of pictures in natural light, no reserve, low starting bid, honest description, 3 day inspection period, and let it go.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
J/C. he is selling a 1911A1.
A Model 1911A1 is always in demand by military collectors. Good ones bring a big buck. It seems logical that millions of potential bidders may result in a few who will run up the price, compared with a few hundred potential buyers here, or on any list site, where the first to agree to buy it cuts off all the rest who might be willing to pay more if they had the chance.

Any fees generated by an auction sale will usually be more than covered by the higher return.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
A Model 1911A1 is always in demand by military collectors. Good ones bring a big buck. It seems logical that millions of potential bidders may result in a few who will run up the price, compared with a few hundred potential buyers here, or on any list site, where the first to agree to buy it cuts off all the rest who might be willing to pay more if they had the chance.

Any fees generated by an auction sale will usually be more than covered by the higher return.
My mistype, 1991a1

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
A Model 1911A1 is always in demand by military collectors. Good ones bring a big buck. It seems logical that millions of potential bidders may result in a few who will run up the price, compared with a few hundred potential buyers here, or on any list site, where the first to agree to buy it cuts off all the rest who might be willing to pay more if they had the chance.Any fees generated by an auction sale will usually be more than covered by the higher return.
And Gun Broker's fees are very low. For instance, the fee on a $1,000 sale is a hair over $25. Here is a link to their fee calculator. Calculate Final Value Fee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts