Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What\'s the difference between DS, Agent, & Cobra

What is the difference between the Colt Cobra, Detective Special, and the agent? They all look the same.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,229 Posts
Re: What\'s the difference between DS, Agent, & Cobra

The Detective Special is an all steel gun.

The Cobra is a Detective Special made with an aluminum frame.

The Agent was originally an aluminum Cobra with a short, "stubby" grip, and short grips.

Later on, all the small "D" framed Colt's were changed to a stubby frame, and the only difference between the Cobra and Agent, was that the Agent was fitted with shorter grips.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: What\'s the difference between DS, Agent, & Cobra

Of course, what dfarris writes is right on the money, as usual. As I remember reading about these guns, the whole breed resulted from the original Aircrewman, which was the first (?) snubbie w/an aluminum frame. I think the Air Force tried them and passed on them and then the Cobra appeared - in the early 50's? The Agent came a bit later. To my notion, the DS has always been the best of the bunch - heavy enough for sustained rapid-fire using duty ammo and light enough to carry well in a stiff holster. Pocket job - no. That's where the lighter ones may be acceptable, if you like to carry that way. There had been quite a commotion early in the life of the Cobra about it not standing up to heavy use. I've never seen one break first hand and I did carry and use a 60's-something Cobra for a few years. I was amazed how light they were! My brother - a non-gun-guy, couldn't believe it was a real gun until he fired it. I always wanted to own a DS and one of the old style Colt .380's and compare the two but have yet to get around to it. When I used my Cobra, we didn't have to qualify with our, "other-gun," so I never did, officially but I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem - very accurate and very Colt trigger. That's a point in itself maybe some other guys would care to comment on ... Is it just my own training and preference but it crosses my mind that that lovely, crisp single-action is rather wasted on a .38 snubbie ... the double is quite good, too, but Colt's always seem to shine in the SA mode. I shoot better with a 4" OP than a 2" anything, but that little Cobra I had did win me a few bets! I know a couple guys that got rid of their Charter Arms and even an S&W after they shot my Cobra.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts