Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've been reading the board for a long time, but this is my first post. What are the changes that were made
between a Trooper Mark III and a Trooper Mark V ? I have a Mark III. A friend of mine has a relative going into a home and is going to sell his guns and one is a nickel mark V.
I haven't seen it yet, but I would like to know what would be a fair offer to make. The gun is supposed to have not been fired very much, but I can determine condition when I see it. I've never seen a Mark V, for being only 1&1/2 hours away from where they were made, the gun shops around here don't seem to have very many Colt DA revolvers. Thanks for any info.
Matt

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
Here's the changes between the Mark III and the Mark V:

The sintered (powdered) steel hammer and trigger were changed to cast steel.

The hammer and trigger were changed to a "short action", Colt's first, with grooving on the hammer instead of the Mark III's checkering.

The mainspring was made longer, and it's mounting seat was moved lower in the frame.

The changes to the hammer and trigger, and the different mainspring set up were to improve trigger pull in double action.

The butt of the frame was changed to a rounded design.

The barrel was changed to a vented rib design.

Later, Colt changed to a new barrel, first made the gun in stainless steel, and re-named it as the King Cobra.

·
Registered
323 Posts
dfariswheel,
Great information. Had a MK III, and often wondered about the MK V.
In your opinion, which was the better gun, from a standpoint of 'shootability' and action?
Don

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
The difference is strictly a matter of personal preference.

Most people say the Mark V/King Cobra has a better double action trigger, but I really can't tell much difference personally.

As for shooting, both are about the same, being just different in the trigger assembly, which has no real effect on accuracy or "shoot-ability".

The Mark V has a stronger hammer and trigger due to their being cast steel to the Mark III's sintered steel.
I have occasionally seen Mark III triggers that broke under use, but I don't remember seeing Mark V/King Cobra parts that were broken.

By broken, I mean under use, not drop damaged or "Billy Bobbed".

Personally, I prefer the cosmetics of the Trooper Mark III.
I just think the hammer looks better and I prefer the appearance of the factory grips over the wood grips that were offered for the Mark V/King Cobra.

Personally, I think these Mark V/King Cobra grips were the second worst looking grips ever used on an American revolver.
The ugliest were the various combat grips made for the Dan Wesson.

Here's what I mean:

Colt Trooper Mark III Target grips:

Trooper Mark V/King Cobra Target grips:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Re: Mark V has no trigger stack

I currently don't have a MK3 but the other day when shooting my MK5 trooper and an officers model match, the difference is noticable. All the positive lock colts have a stack or heaviness when close to break (in double action)and one can expect it and plan for it. Then pick up a MK5 and one has no idea when it is going to go off in double action. It is different and I don't know if I like it yet. I agree that the original wood is not the nicest looking but they fit my small hands and I have a set of rubber king cobra/anaconda combats coming.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Mark V has no trigger stack

Since I opened this thread, 23 months go, I have purchased four Trooper Mark Vs. I like them a graet deal and shoot them alot. The DA is quite nice and you will get used to it if you practice. I shoot almost only 38 in them. I think that they are still one of the best bargans out there. I love my Officers Models, but usally only shoot them SA.
[image]
[/image]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts