Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What\'s the Story on the Colt Light Rifle?

A buddy just got a Colt Light Rifle. What's the story on these? Are they good or bad? What about the recall? I tried some searching but didn't find much.

Any info appreciated!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: What\'s the Story on the Colt Light Rifle?

Did you search four posts down? Thats' all the response that one got, so it's probably part of the "not much" you found. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What\'s the Story on the Colt Light Rifle?

Actually, I did find the one four posts down, but only through a five year search of the long gun forum. The way the search results came back, I thought it was an "old" thread!

What little I've found indicates most seem to like their CLR, with a few saying it's a big piece of junk. Real helpful! Sounds like Colt abandoned the project mostly due to finances, and perhaps also because they could not meet their price point and it did not meet its published weight (though presumeably still somewhat light).

I've also read there was a recall on the model, although it is unclear on what caliber this recall covered -- just the 30-06?

Finally, I've picked up that there is essentially no support or spares for the model: Colt didn't buy the spares (and the last batch of rifles from SACO) and the design is different enough from the original UltraLight Arms that they can not help. Not that spare parts are necessarily needed.

I would still be interested if anyone would like to post on their impressions and experiences with this model.

Regards

Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Re: It is fine for its intended purpose-hunting

I have one and the Colt (Burris) marked scope intended for it. My son shot his first deer with it when he was 13. It will shoot about 1 1/2 or less at 100 and my smallest is 3/4. The stock is about as close to one can come to a toy without calling it a toy but it is light. The gun is light and with its 30-06 chambering that should raise a flag. But if one mounts the scope as far foward as possible it is OK to shoot about 50 rds. before one becomes a little flinchy. Now that the distributors are out of them the price may creep up. It is a fine hunting gun and one that I would not worry about getting wet or left out in the truck overnight. Mine came with a card stating it was not in the group of recalled rifles which I understand was just some of the 30-06 rifles as is mine. I really wanted a 308 rifle but it was never made. I do have 2 extra Colt scopes that were marketed for these at $200 ea.. Now I am trying to find the leather sling that was marketed for the Colt Detla rifles to go on this. Just my .02. Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts