Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So theres a thread on the WORST, what about the best deals you ever got?
I'm going to have to think about this one a bit...

·
Registered
95 Posts
went to a "divorce sale" a couple years ago and the husband had been cheating on her and she was MAD!!!
She sold me 3 single shot shot guns for $75 total and about $2000 of his fishing gear and a bow for $250...not the greatest deal in the world but she was so happy about
how mad he'd be...oh well

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Some of the best deals within the past 3 years:
Buying a Mint Det Spl. for $375
Buying a Mint Agent for $350
Buying a LNIB Anaconda for $750
Buying an excellent conidtion King Cobra for $425
Buying a Mint police positiive special for $350
The reason I consider these great deals is that not only were they cosmetically like new,they also were mechanically fine and shoot very well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
about 4-5 yrs ago, bought a colt diamondback 38- 4" blue off gunbroker..there was only one picture and that was a bad one. he was a new seller and had no feedback..$525 shipped so i took a chance..after i made the deal he called and told me he had the box and papers if i wanted them..gun was NIB...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My all time favorite Colt purchase was a NIB 2.5" Diamondback 22 for $400 +tax from a gunshop that should have known better in 1998. That was when they were selling for about $900 > $1000. I did a dance on that one, but not because it was such a great deal but because I really like the gun. It took me about 30 seconds to make up my mind on that one.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Hmmmm...probably it was an S & W 'M&P' Target version of the 1902 Model ( pre five screw, four screw ) in about 65 percent intact original Finish, low use, wonderful figured Walnut Stocks, which I got on a Buy-it-Now on Gunbroker not long ago.

Seller's description was about no info at all, other than it was a consignment item and .38 Special and one long distaance somewhat blurry image...listed simply as an S&W .38.

I think it was $300.00 even, on the 'Buy it Now' and the listing had been up about ten minutes or so when I happened to stumble across it.

I thought to myself "If this is what I think it is, and, if I do not JUMP on this right this instant, it is gunna be GONE and soon..!"

Not a world beater of a deal, but a very very nice, fairly rare version of the famed S&W K Frame Target Revolver, and, a real sweetie, for a very easy going price.

Had a different sort of deal occur a while back - Seller had a mid 1920s Police Positive period Cut-Down ( 2 inch ) with Pearl Stocks, mis-listed as a Detective Special, starting bid of like $450.00 or something.

I wrote them a polite friendly little missive, which would aid them in telling the difference.

They wrote back a very nice message, and in further discussion, they asked me what a fair price for it would be, and, I suggested they list it for like $200.00 or $225.00, with the understanding that it might not get any bites...or, list it for $180.00 starting bid, and I felt it would get some action and someone would bite.

They wrote back, saying if I wanted it for $180.00, delivered, I could have it.

Well, I got it, and it is a delightful little Colt, and, this was one very nice straight shooting Seller, too.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
A Winchester Model 1886 .45-90 as a free gift from a revered shooting bud and friend.

Most of my "deals" only look great now because I purchased the guns so many years ago. My starting salary when I went to work for a bank right out of high school was $385 per month during a time when I got some of those "deals." Colt Model 1901 - $70, Colt Model 1911-$145, Colt Model 1917 $150, 1st generation Colt Single Action Army $320 and so on. Go ahead and buy 'em now so you can relate how you only paid a pittance for them in 35-40 years.

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
This is easy. I saw this 1900 vintage .32-20 Bisley (that I've posted here a thousand times already) in a local gunshop on consignment for $800. I thought I was seeing things when I saw the price. Turns out the cylinder spun freely. Then I noticed a very subtle bulge in the barrel right behind the front sight when I checked the bore. It took a month for the shop to call me and say the guy would sell it for $500 because of that bulge. That's when I started dancing. I put a new trigger and bolt spring in it and now it works great. I bought it just a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Not a Colt but still very happy to even find one....ANIB S&W model 35 for 300 bucks.
NIB Colt Boa for 700 bucks....9 years ago but still a helluva deal even then.
Mint nickel Browning High Power AS with red lined gold zipper pouch for 200 bucks.
Package deal of a 45 Colt anaconda, a S&W model 657, and a S&W model 624. All three ANIB for 1100 bucks. This was only three years ago and I didn't really want them, but the guy kept coming down until I could no longer say no. No...they weren't hot...the guy was crazy to get cash for anoher gun that was about to get away and I was in the right place at the right time. Seller was known to me and honest, but not real bright at times.
NIB TC Contender super 14 with a NIB Leupold VX III scope thrown in for 300 bucks...Gun was just about free..same type scenario...different guy. Which makes me wonder what's wrong with folks who do foolish things like that. I have known several like them over the years. People that will invest many dollars in good quality guns then lose their fanny to sell them quick so they can buy the next play toy that strikes their fancy. I could understand if they needed money for a kids medical bills, or a home emegency, but to take an unnecessary loss that great just to get another toy??? I could never do that to take advantadge of a guy with a sick child, or a genuine family emergrncy that forced him to sell things, but I don't seem to feel the slightest twinge of guilt when i get a real bargain from the gun nuts inflicting financial loss on themselves for another play toy....:) How many guys have you run across that do things that foolish?

·
Registered
45 Posts
About 7years ago I was offered a 6" MK III Trooper or a 2" MK III lawman for $350. If I took both I could have them for $500. Duh I took both. I lost the Trooper in a residual burglary but I still have the snubby.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Not a Colt but still very happy to even find one....ANIB S&W model 35 for 300 bucks.
NIB Colt Boa for 700 bucks....9 years ago but still a helluva deal even then.
Mint nickel Browning High Power AS with red lined gold zipper pouch for 200 bucks.
Package deal of a 45 Colt anaconda, a S&W model 657, and a S&W model 624. All three ANIB for 1100 bucks. This was only three years ago and I didn't really want them, but the guy kept coming down until I could no longer say no. No...they weren't hot...the guy was crazy to get cash for anoher gun that was about to get away and I was in the right place at the right time. Seller was known to me and honest, but not real bright at times.
NIB TC Contender super 14 with a NIB Leupold VX III scope thrown in for 300 bucks...Gun was just about free..same type scenario...different guy. Which makes me wonder what's wrong with folks who do foolish things like that. I have known several like them over the years. People that will invest many dollars in good quality guns then lose their fanny to sell them quick so they can buy the next play toy that strikes their fancy. I could understand if they needed money for a kids medical bills, or a home emegency, but to take an unnecessary loss that great just to get another toy??? I could never do that to take advantadge of a guy with a sick child, or a genuine family emergrncy that forced him to sell things, but I don't seem to feel the slightest twinge of guilt when i get a real bargain from the gun nuts inflicting financial loss on themselves for another play toy....:) How many guys have you run across that do things that foolish?
not nearly enough! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine happens to be a Colt.
A few years ago a friend lost his job and had been unemployed for a long time. One night we were sitting in a raw bar and he asked everyone at the table if they wanted to buy a gun. Of course I jumped up and said "I DO!". I was first, so I got it. I asked him "how much" and he said $250, I asked "what is it?" and he said a Colt. "What model?", I don't know, he says, but it's a .380.
So the next night we meet at a friends bar and he has the pistol:
A blue plastic Colt box. He opens it and there sits a beautiful ss Gov't. .380! 3 ss mags., holster, papers, hang tag, 35 jhp rounds, and original reciept! It's probably not had more than 100 rounds cycled in it's life.
I asked if he was sure, and he said yes, so I bought it. I still have it. It's one of my "never sells"!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used to look for and buy a lot of used guns but don't do it much anymore.
Most of these deals were several years ago but were smoking deals even then :
Remington 1100 Magnum 12 guage - $80
Marlin 39A .22 (with a hard case and a brick of ammo) - $125
Ruger Single Six (1973 Vintage) with both cylinders in 95% condition - $150
Winchester 94 (1961 Vintage) - $70
Colt Trooper MK lll , 6" , .22 - $160
S&W Pre-10 (1946 Vintage), nickel - $110

It seems like the great deals are few and far between these days. I think it's probably due to the internet, everybody can look up values in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Wyatt,

That 2nd image - does this show that the Hammer and Backstrap will work as a Bottle Opener?

I had never thought to try that before! ( At least with a Bisely anyway, where the Hammer comes back and down that-a-way...)

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
Wyatt,

That 2nd image - does this show that the Hammer and Backstrap will work as a Bottle Opener?

I had never thought to try that before! ( At least with a Bisely anyway, where the Hammer comes back and down that-a-way...)
In an old Skeeter Skelton article he wrote of being a kid and a local merchant always carried his Bisley in a shoulder holster and how the guy used the gun to open Budweiser beer bottles. I had to try it when I got the gun and it really works great! But I don't want a piece of Bisley hammer spur busting off, however remote so I'll use a regular bottle opener now. I still have that Skeeter article.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts