Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Could be the HK P-7 I bought for $425 new when they first came out from a local firearms wholesaler called Ron Shirk Shooting Supplies. He also had a retail firearms shop at the time. The local dealers hated him.

But, it could wind up being the 1941 square butt DS I just bought if it letters as US government procured.
I'm rooting for you on this one. Got my fingers crossed for ya!

·
Registered
24 Posts
All purchased in the last 5 years:

$900 at a gun show from an old fellow selling off his handgun collection. He didn't bring it to the first day of the show, but I got him to show me the list of what he'd left at home and jumped on it!

$550 from a gun shop that apparently didn't bother to do their research on how much these are worth. Came with a period holster as well.

$1000 from a guy looking to get rid of his dad's unregistered, restricted (in Canada) WW2 bringback. And yes, it's original.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
It's funny how we don't know how good some deals are until a few years later. A lot of gun values rise at a much faster rate than inflation.
After seeing some of the prices Carcanos are going for I'm thinking this one was a really great deal at $65 around 7 years ago. It's a 1941 Terni built gun. Just a year after the Oswald gun:

I don't know if it was my best deal, but definitely not my worst!

Nice! That's a good point about gun-values and inflation, fact is, it was just by happenstance I picked up a few guns, Colts, that have gone up so much in value over just a few years that I curse my IRAs for not doing anywhere NEAR them.

I wonder if that's part of the reason for the crazed rise in price of some Colts, like Pythons - collector-like buying, classic guns, no longer made - they say collectables go up as gold does when the economy spooks people, which THIS one more than does...

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Four years ago in Tulsa I asked a dealer how much for a Colt 1908 25. Then asked how much if I buy two. He said I should buy all 13 semi-autos. Said I couldn't afford them all. His price was 3500. I nearly fell to the floor. Said I would be right back to pay. Had to find my wife and get money from her. These 13 pistols were 85% or better. $269 each While I was making sure what the deal was, a group of guys had piled up behind me just waiting for me to walk. It was pretty funny.
3) 1908 25
3) 1902
3) 1903 38
4) 1903 32

Four years ago at a Kansas City show a man walked by and said must not be any 1905s in this show. I said I guess there is at least one. I had one in my hand that was cut for a shoulder stock. He asked if I would like to buy six more. The deal was, I had to buy all six or he wouldn't sell. We met after the show was over south of KC. Tried to buy 1 then 2 and then 3. He wanted 10,500 for the six. I told him I could not afford them. Of course I had to ask my wife how much cash we had. We had 4000. Told the guy I only had 4000. He says no problem I will take a check for the balance. I then explained a check would be no good. He says no problem, call when it will clear. I left our meeting a happy man with six 1905 colts paid for with 4000 cash and a 6500 hot check. I tried to post some pictures, but can't seem to make it work.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
i got a like new Jimenez .22 semi for 40 bucks.
someone had ground off the serial number, but otherwise it was like new!
OK, i'm kidding about the serial number, but can't beat a $40 gun that actually shoots!;)

tom

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
i go a like new Jimenez .22 semi for 40 bucks.
someone had ground off the serial number, but otherwise it was like new!
Where'd you buy that in an alley? Sorry...I think that's one I would have walked away from. Definitely stolen.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Here is one that's a little off track, and again off brand..:),but still a deal that made me extremely happy. I saw what had once been a super nice second model S&W 44 hand ejector laying on a table with the top 1/3 of the cylinder and the frame top strap blown away from an obvious over pressure handload. The unbelievable part is that it came with a mint set of correct and original diamond checkered convex service grips, a near mint box, plus all the internal parts...it had never been disassembled since it's demise. Asking price was 50 bucks and I injured my elbow from the whiplash of reaching for my wallet.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Seller's picture wasn't too clear, he thought blue was original, grip with pieces missing, I bid $700. It timed out at $660. I had a nice pair of original grips. Could hardly believe it. About 60-70% original finish with VG bore, .44-40, s/n 2K.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I paid $535.00 after tax on a Delta Elite in superb condition way back in the day, when that was a lot below list. Bought a completely mint 4" Python for $375 after tax, with no box/papers and carried it through the police academy and then as a sidearm for a year or so. They still look and shoot great.

But: after Comrade Clinton's people control ban hit, a friend called and offered to sell me his Springfield M1A, in the box (all GI except the receiver). He wanted $500.00!!!! I had to be honest, since the guy is a friend, a Marine, and as as straight as they come. So I told him he could get three times that at any gun shop due to the hysteria of the time. He replied no, he wanted it to go to a friend who would take very good care of it, so I drove to his home with great haste and a check in hand (plus the 10mm in the glovebox in case of incident after I left with the rifle in its S.A. marked carton). That rifle still bears the most honored spot my safe has to offer, and if I were to only choose one firearm to have forever, that would be it. Then I'd use it to defend the Delta Elite and the Python LOL, but this is not a speculation thread after all.

How you guys do it so easily is beyond me, my deals were random incidents with non-collectibles at the time. You rock!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Even when I went over the top, I got good deals....
Let's see.... I bought a 1917DWM Luger in 95%+ condition for $500 below low book. The mag does not match, but is a good one, with walnut base and caliber embossed in the wood. I have had some guys interested more in the mag than the pistol. A numbered mag would be nice, though.
I think the best value was my first 1903. It's a 1915 production. Not anywhere near perfect but good. $150 OTD. (not too many years ago)
This year I got a 1903 for $250 OTD. Decent, a little beat up, but a 1904 with a 4 digit s/n.
I guess there are more, like the 6" Python for $439. A little Police Positive for $150. A nice little 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless .25 for $200. I have 3 old (real old) S&Ws with around $400 in all of 'em. A decent Victory for $150.
Golly, there's more than I thought!
I am not that shrewd, just in the right place at the right time, I guess.
I don't really have all that much tied up in 'em.
Good thread. Makes ya think. I shall be grateful for these, and will feel privileged to have 'em. And I will probably spend all kinds of coin on others as conditions permit.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Seller's picture wasn't too clear, he thought blue was original, grip with pieces missing, I bid $700. It timed out at $660. I had a nice pair of original grips. Could hardly believe it. About 60-70% original finish with VG bore, .44-40, s/n 2K.
That gun is beautiful. I got my S&W DA Frontier for $400 back in 1999 I think and thought that was a pretty good deal. But it's not nearly as nice as that one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well not a great deal,but in 1998 at a gun show I bought a 1975 Diamondback .38 2" for $340.00. The gun looked like it never had been fired. There was no box or paper work. I still have the gun and will never sell it. I liked the ser.# D77777.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well not a great deal,but in 1998 at a gun show I bought a 1975 Diamondback .38 2" for $340.00. The gun looked like it never had been fired. There was no box or paper work. I still have the gun and will never sell it. I liked the ser.# D77777.
Sounds like a great deal to me. Even in 1998. Love that serial number!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
My best deal on a Colt was just over a year ago for this 98% Viper, $300. It does have the correct stocks on it now.

About the same time, I got this Weatherby MK XXII with scope for $250.

I though this was a great deal. Still new, unfired Auto Ordanance Tommy Gun with drum, for $600. Owner bought it, never shot it and took it back to the dealer to sell it so he could buy a $200. black powder rifle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My best deal was on the first firearm I ever bought with my own money that I had made (Dad bought me a Remington 700 for Christmas before that). One of my Dad's LE friends was retiring and asked my dad if he wanted to buy the guy's old patrol rifle. My dad wasn't interested but I told him that I wanted it. Dad thought I was crazy for paying $175 for an old M1 Carbine, even if the guy threw in 500 rounds of ammo that he had with it. That was 5 or 6 years ago now. It's still my favorite rifle. You can't beat it for handling and with soft point ammo it'll do anything a .357 lever gun will, at twice the rate of fire.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
25 years ago I traded an old Marbles hatchet for an Inland General Motors M 1 carbine dated May 1944. Carbine is like new.

·
Premium Member
6,451 Posts
Last week I bought a minty Marlin 39A made in 1974 for $250. Dealer had just taken it in on trade. I have wanted one for a long, long time but was waiting for just the right deal.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I have several. My first was my first handgun, a 6in Python made in 68, bought it in 76 for $100.00.
Then I picked up in a package deal a pristine Venezuelan model 24/30 short rifle Mauser 7x57 mauser, sporterized Schmidt Rueben and a very nice Remington 760 pump in 30-06. Got all 4 for the princely sum of $275.00!! This was a number of years ago. I was more tickled by this deal when I started researching the little Mauser and found 2 for sale on the internet. One was at Simpsons in Galesburg, IL and they were asking $1,250.00 for it, the other was at one of the fancier Gun stores with a asking price of $1,400.00 - I was floored!! The one at Simpsons sold, but it took a while. The one i have still had cosmoline on it. I cleaned it up and it shoots great !!! The guy I bought it off of was suprised I shot it. He thought it wasn't shootable?

41 - 60 of 185 Posts