Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little friendly lounge chat

What to some of you do for work as your day job? (I would love to own my own gun shop one day, but I will keep dreaming for now)

and what made some of you begin collecting colt revolvers?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
1. Wildlife Biologist for 20 years with a Federal resource agency. Prior to that 25 years in the real estate industry (title insurance).

2. The Duke (the REAL Duke, not "the duke"), Roy and Dale, Gene, Pat Buttram, Ty Hardin, James Garner, James Arness, Clint Walker, Hugh O'Brien, and other long-dead heroes! (ps: NOT a collector==an "accumulator")

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Caretaker to 4 legged beasties from equine to feline. Retired from CAD/CAM system administration after serving many years on the design cycle of the business. I enjoyed the computer side much better as the equipment never talked back when you explained what ANSI Y14.5 tolerancing means to a "newbie" out of engineering school(s). Father to 5, "Poppy" to 2. Blessed to still be drawing breath :)

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I have been with Fluor Corp. for 28 years and currently a Project Manager for major capital projects for our clients.

Colts were know to me from the early cowboy movies and TV shows. Just the name of Colt always had me interested in them. My dad always liked Colts too, so he is probably what got me interested. In my early years the Colt was the most expensive revolvers and pistols.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Who Me?

Retired CWO4, USCG; Retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer; oh, did I mention I'm retired? Going to be 63 in July; and am following my doctor's advice. Last April I had a heart attack (from which I recovered quite nicely from); two weeks later, when I asked him when I could go back to work he said, "never." So now my job is to live long enough to enjoy my quadruple dipping! (USCG, CBP pensions; VA and Social Security Disability).I like guns. The gun I've owned the longest (and my 3rd gun ever bought) is my Combat Commander .45. I have this addiction, shared with many of you, that says - that's a nice Colt, I should buy it!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just a little friendly lounge chat

What to some of you do for work as your day job? (I would love to own my own gun shop one day, but I will keep dreaming for now)

and what made some of you begin collecting colt revolvers?
That's probably like saying, "I like to cook; I'd like to own a restaurant someday."

Liking and collecting guns is different than owning a business selling them!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Retired CWO4, USCG; Retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer; oh, did I mention I'm retired? Going to be 63 in July; and am following my doctor's advice. Last April I had a heart attack (from which I recovered quite nicely from); two weeks later, when I asked him when I could go back to work he said, "never." So now my job is to live long enough to enjoy my quadruple dipping! (USCG, CBP pensions; VA and Social Security Disability).I like guns. The gun I've owned the longest (and my 3rd gun ever bought) is my Combat Commander .45. I have this addiction, shared with many of you, that says - that's a nice Colt, I should buy it!
AS a point of order, you hit 65 an SSD becomes regular ole SSA....Ask me how I know ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Joined the Navy in 1963. Retired from the Army in 1985. Took early retirement buyout and severance package as a corporate staff-engineer in 1999. Took early retirement buyout and severance package as a call-center/service-center manager in 2001. Retired as a realtor in 2004. Retired as a luxury brand car salesman in 2006. Retired as a government law enforcement agency consultant in 2010.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
I work as a gunsmith for Windham Weaponry (I use the term "gunsmith" very loosely when referring to AR15s, it's not exactly rocket science)
me pistol.png
On the side I tinker on older guns and have a home FFL and a business FFL under the name Weegee Arms, LLC where I do most of my Gunbroker gun dealing...not that I seem to be able to make any money at it, probably because I'm a gun junkie :)
In all honesty this forum is what got me REALLY into Colts. My first was an early 1950 Detective Special that I bought from Kittery Trading Post back around 2000 for $150 which I sold to forum member and friend Charlene.
98% of my Colt knowledge came from, and continues to come from this forum.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I currently own and operate several small businesses with the most prolific being Keystone Arms. The others are works in progress but are growing by the day.

I bailed hay until I was 18 then took a job at the local manufacturing planet. Got fired and thought the world came to an end but got accepted into the Commercial Carpenters Union where I worked for several years building Schools and Restaurants. I started to build a business as a Log Home Restoration Expert as I was employed in the Union. Quit the Union to pursue the Log Home thing until Guns took over my life about 5 years after dropping out of the Union Game. I made money all summer and spent it all winter so I set out to reverse the trend of being broke in the Spring after a long winter of Spending. First gun was a Remington 770 in early 2009 followed shortly there after by a Colt King Cobra. Thought it was the coolest gun and I made $400 net profit flipping it. Started to see the trend of how the prices of the King Cobras went from $500 to $700 then $700 to $900 so I emptied the pillows of the couch all my savings and started to buy Colt revolvers. I paid full market value for them and a short 6 months later they were worth up to $500-$1000 more than i paid for some of the models (Pythons). I saw the light and threw all my chips on the table. Thank you Colt World!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Retired after 38 years as sales representative with a national building products company, deputy sheriff before that. I became interested in Colts the first time I saw my Grandad's Colt SAA at age Four.
Currently work part time with an FFL who sells guns on Gunbroker and spend all the money I earn on Colts. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
41 years in Commercial Air Flow and Hydronics.
12 years as Talk Site Administrator for above profession.
10 years in Harley EFI Tuning Systems and training

A very close friend was the recipient of a house break in. They stole every thing of value what wasn't nailed down which included his '74 Colt Diamondback .38. Years of listening to him talk about how he missed his Diamondback I found and purchase him a replacement for his birthday. After that experience I was stuck on Colt handguns and knew why he missed it so much. I now have a small snake pit I can call my own.

1 - 20 of 496 Posts