Colt Forum banner

481 - 497 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have been a journeyman machinists since 1979 and for what seems like forever have been the QC gatekeeper of a small family machine and stamping shop. Never strayed to far from my roots always wanted to follow in my grandfather’s steps,he was a stock fitter and finisher at L.C. Smith here in town.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I was a software engineer implementing network communication protocols. This allowed computer systems to talk to each other. I also managed large computer systems. I am now on disability, working to get off of it and back to a more normal life. I hate being on disability, which IMO is a good way to feel about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am a Electromechanical Engineer working in a General Hospital in the Facilty manteinance team..
For the people over 65 years, Keep Safe, calm, Stay at home, with your family and hobbies!!!!....:):)
Best Regards
RR

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I joined the Marines at the age of 17 during Vietnam and went to boot camp in San Diego. After retiring from the Marine Corps I moved back to Florida, went to college and got a degree in Criminal Justice under the GI Bill. After getting my degree I went to the Police Academy and got hired right out of the academy. I spent 14 years of my career on night shift and loved it, I really hated dayshift and only went to days when forced to lol. In 2017 I retired from Law Enforcement as a sergeant and looked forward to those golden years.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Hey Jim. Congrats! Enjoy retirement. BTW What's a Signal 20 in your world? Its a domestic here :)
Vic

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I spent 14 years of my career on night shift and loved it, I really hated dayshift and only went to days when forced to lol.
I worked all three shifts at one time or another over the years. The bad thing about day shift is you have supervisors are constantly looking over your shoulder. You didn't see them at night because they're too scared to come out or because they believe it's beneath them.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Your right too many Admin on day shift and they always wanted to meddle in your business. Most had no clue as to what was going on but considered themselves experts in everything because they worked the road 20 years before and were a super cop lol. I always said yes sir and then did it my way anyway. I was a sergeant for 15 years and loved it. That's the best position to have in any PD. If you went higher in my agency you were admin and salary. As a sgt you could still have fun and work the road, I did not want to sit at a desk working 8-5 days.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I worked 35 years as a Lockheed guard. All but about 3 of them on graveyard. It`s a different life. Palmdale gets hot. Graveyard was cool. I worked tons of overtime that wasn't as much available to day and swing shift. I figure I averaged about 65 hours a week for many years. It`s a more relaxed shift and you made your own decisions and calls. The day and swing shift guards were tied to one post or gate all shift where I roamed all night. You definitely had to learn how and when to sleep during the day and those that didn't walked around half dead all the time. The ones that couldn't handle it well were the young guys. The older guys did better.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Was in structural engineering at Boeing Wichita. Joined the ranks of the permanently unemployed in 2005 due to CHF. Bought my first Colts in 75. Went for too many years wanting to buy more Colts. In the last 10 years (post divorce) I have been able to find my niche: early double action revolvers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a partner in a fabrication/millwright shop serving the food,beverage,dairy, waste water, municipal water and power generation industries.....yeah we stay pretty busy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've was a Floor Host in the strip club industry since 1999. Got fired back in July when management found out I'd been writing a blog about bouncing in strip clubs since 2010. Approached a few attorneys about filing some sort of lawsuit, was told Ohio doesn't really care about employees and that as a 'Right to Work' state my employers could fire me anytime, for anything and that the burden of proof for some sort of discrimination would be on me and that I basically had no case.

Honestly I was relieved. I'd been looking for an excuse to get out of the industry for a while. Talk about a job where you never go home feeling good about yourself unless you're a scumbag, this is it. I'm a happier man now that I'm out, being a glorified bouncer in your late 40's isn't a bright future by any means. Every day I wake up and know I don't have to go herd a bunch of drunk idiots and perverts is a good day.

As to figuring out how to pay my bills, something will come up. It always does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I worked 35 years as a Lockheed guard. All but about 3 of them on graveyard. It`s a different life. Palmdale gets hot. Graveyard was cool. I worked tons of overtime that wasn't as much available to day and swing shift. I figure I averaged about 65 hours a week for many years. It`s a more relaxed shift and you made your own decisions and calls. The day and swing shift guards were tied to one post or gate all shift where I roamed all night. You definitely had to learn how and when to sleep during the day and those that didn't walked around half dead all the time. The ones that couldn't handle it well were the young guys. The older guys did better.
Once you fully integrate with graveyard, there's no going back. And you're right, there's a huge lifestyle shift that comes with it. All the younger Floor Guys I worked with were clearly having problems with it and relied on energy drinks to get them through their shifts. All us late 30's through late 40's guys were fine.

I can barely remember what it's like to work when the sun is up. Seems weird.

481 - 497 of 497 Posts