Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick up your Boys 20mm anti tank rifle! Just the thing if you need to stop a bus or a dump truck! Warning, watch out for the recoil and finding ammo might be a bit tricky! Be sure to have a good backstop!!!

boys at rifle.jpg

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Pick up your Boys 20mm anti tank rifle! Just the thing if you need to stop a bus or a dump truck! Warning, watch out for the recoil and finding ammo might be a bit tricky! Be sure to have a good backstop!!!

View attachment 397401
Looks just like mine :cool:

Reactions: spacecoast1

·
Registered
289 Posts
A friend has one of these. they are a hoot to shoot. He uses a sand pit for a backstop. the bullet doesn't go very far in the loose sand. he even reloads for it. Right now he has a couple hundred rounds. I just can't get him to bring it out anymore. The new club board says it's to powerful. It's really not, we've had it out before and it never fully penetrated the base of our 200 yard berm. He sold his property so the sand trap is not an option anymore.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not my gun, I found this for sale on Gunbroker. Thought it would raise some interest and comments. I have never shot a 20mm or 30mm but was a gunner on a 106mm recoilless rifle back in my Seabee days. The main thing you had to remember was to pull the firing knob to shoot the spotting rifle and push the knob to fire the 106. If you called out that you were firing the spotting rifle and fired the 106 by mistake, people around your position tended to get a bit testy!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My friend has one but converted to 50 caliber. Great fun to shoot..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Not my gun, I found this for sale on Gunbroker. Thought it would raise some interest and comments. I have never shot a 20mm or 30mm but was a gunner on a 106mm recoilless rifle back in my Seabee days. The main thing you had to remember was to pull the firing knob to shoot the spotting rifle and push the knob to fire the 106. If you called out that you were firing the spotting rifle and fired the 106 by mistake, people around your position tended to get a bit testy!
My ex-step-father told a story of being in the Ohio National Guard in 1960 and manning a recoiless rifle mounted in the back of a Jeep? They meant to fire a spotting round and fired the main gun instead. The Jeep was not set into position and rolled with the crew. I don't know if it was true but it was a good story.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
It looks like a lot of fun. I have a half mile deep piece of property, but I am afraid it would shoot the entire mile to hit something on the road behind me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think they made them in 20mm. An original was .55 cal and often converted to .50 BMG. Hard to imagine converting one to 20mm

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
They were a mail order item in gun magazines in the 50's-early 60's. I don't recall if they were converted to .50BMG or not, but they would ship direct to your door.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I own a live M3 37mm Anti Tank gun. Same gun in a Stuart tank. Ground gun towed behind my Jeep or Weapons carrier. Now that's a Blast!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts