Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Colt Python 4" Royal Blue, vintage 1961
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colt changed the ejector ratchet design with the Colt Mark III series of 1969.
My 1961 Python has the radial star ejector. So all new Pythons would have the ninja star shape ? My understanding is that the ejector ratchet gear also controls the cylinder lockup just at the moment when the firing pin strikes. So, this new ninja star shape ratchet will have a different cylinder advance level and timed differently compared to the older Pythons....right ?
I'm just curious why Colt made the change.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My 1961 Python has the radial star ejector. So all new Pythons would have the ninja star shape ? My understanding is that the ejector ratchet gear also controls the cylinder lockup just at the moment when the firing pin strikes. So, this new ninja star shape ratchet will have a different cylinder advance level and timed differently compared to the older Pythons....right ?
I'm just curious why Colt made the change.
Henry,
The pawl pushes on the flat, so there is no change in how it works; just a difference in how they machine it.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,801 Posts
Colt kept the original ejector design on the original Python until it was discontinued in the early 2000's.

The Python was the last of the original Colt medium frame designs left after all the others were discontinued in 1969.
After 1969 all new Colt designs used the new ejector.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I was wondering about this. My ‘82 stainless Python has the old design but my ‘69 Diamondback has the newer design.

Thanks for that info

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Anyone have a pic of the ratchet on the new series Python?

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
The change in the ratchet occurred in 1966 with the introduction of the Diamondback, and the revamping of the rest of the Colt line which also eliminated the shoulder on the crane. The exception was the Python which retained the crane shoulder until 1974. As for the Trooper MK lll (1969) and its descendants (MK V, original King Cobra and the original Anaconda), the ratchet design was unique. It has what I can only describe as a two stage ratchet where the hand first quickly indexes the cylinder and then locks against another flat at the top of the ratchet. The attached photos show this pretty clearly. Immediately after completing design work on the MK lll, Karl Lewis began design work with Dan Wesson.
You can see the resemblance in the attached photos. Colt top, Dan Wesson bottom.
Automotive lighting Rim Audio equipment Motor vehicle Spoke
Alloy wheel Vehicle brake Automotive design Automotive lighting Kitchen utensil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts