Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did SAA production and deliveries to the Army finally get to the point where the 1860 Army was totally replaced and no longer issued at all? Did it ever happen, or were there still some 1860s in use when the 1892 New Army double action came out?

·
Registered
712 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the first “strap” Colt .45s began arriving to troops in the summer of 1874. In 1871 1,000 S&W No. 3 .44s were issued and 1,200 Colt conversions were purchased about that time. However, some records exist of handguns in the hands of 7th Cavalry troops prior to getting their new .45s. Among them are a considerable number of cap and ball revolvers. I remember there were Remingtons but I’m not sure about 1860s. Not much help but it’s all I know off the top of my head.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I bet it will be hard to pin down. I recall reading that the 1873 trapdoors were still being issued during WW1 to the National Guard units in the states. I would think similar older weapons were still in the armories as well as being used by the NG.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Several years ago I read an art. where the last order by the US Govt. for the 1860 Army cap and ball was 9 ea. in 1903-06 [not sure], it was in the early 1900's, I'll try and find it and put it up.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I quickly glanced through my 1990 Gun Reports index and didn't see anything relevant. I find it hard to understand why the government would purchase something so outdated when the 1911 was already in development.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Gov't did some funny things over the years. I can tell you the M-14 replaced the M1-garand in 1957. Yet I have a garand from the CMP with a hang tag saying it was refinished in 1974 (by an armory.) I always wondered if it was busy work for the armorers as it most likely went directly into storage after they worked on it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If the M14 was the new weapon of choice in 1957, I guess we were old school in the Marine's.
Boot Camp in 63 was M14, ITR & ACT we were issued M1's.
I have a CMP H&R Select Grade M1 that was Arsenal Refinished in 67. My guess a lot of them were used in Nam.

·
Registered
568 Posts
They stopped producing garands in 1957. I agree lots of garands were still in use in VietNam. Once the rebuilt garands were overlooked as collectibles but now they are appreciated. I imagine yours has a electric pencil marking on the receiver leg. The Marines marked their Overhauled garands with a big O followed by the year such a 0-65. That mark was electric penciled on the receiver flat next to the rear sight.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
The book Colt Model 1860 by Pate states that most of the 1860 's were replaced by Colt SAA and S&W Schofields 1874-1875. Large disposal sales started in 1876. It is interesting that he found that only 15% of the 1860's were disposed of through formal disposal methods the other 85% are not accounted for. Another fact to consider is the size of the army. In 1876 28,000 1877 24,000.
Jim

·
Registered
568 Posts
Very nice one Jim. If I recall that's is a rebuild from Letterkenny in Pa. I like the zinc park on those rebuilds. Bet it's a tack driver. Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
If the M14 was the new weapon of choice in 1957, I guess we were old school in the Marine's.
Boot Camp in 63 was M14, ITR & ACT we were issued M1's.
I have a CMP H&R Select Grade M1 that was Arsenal Refinished in 67. My guess a lot of them were used in Nam.
Every Recon team had one in '69. With adapter it fired W.P. rifle grenades for marking targets.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Don't forget that we also supplied the Garand and Carbine as a part of the Foreign Aid package, and both were getting actively rebuilt to fill that need.

Until we armed Marvin the Arvin with M16s, they all had a Garand or Carbine, as well as BAR's and M1919 LMGs - the ROKs and Thais had them, too, so those WWII designs were still proving to be formidable far past their initial conception.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
It took a while for folks to swap over from their trusty 1860's to the single action army of 1873. If I remember correctly when they captured John Wesley Hardin around 1878 he still had a 60 army on him.

Reactions: superdave269

·
Registered
568 Posts
Coltsixguns -The trust you mention was a big factor for the troops. I have an early 1938 Garand with SRS info that it was a Marine Test gun. The Marines did not want them when they first came out they wanted to stay with their proven 1903s in the beginning. I could talk garands all day long. I spent 20 years researching and collecting but I am starting to feel I hijacked the OP original question. However these post about Trapdoor Springfields and garands show that the Colt 1860 stuck around for sometime after our beloved Colt 1873 made its way on the scene.

Good point dogface6. I have a Bavarian m1-Carbine that was lent to them back in the 50,s. I would have to double check but I believe my is marked Bavaria Rural Police.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was with the 6thMarines at Camp Lejeune and late 1962 we were told to go to the armory with our M1's for the new M14's. I got mine which was a H&R and I hated it along with other Marines who couldn't stand it. It was beaten into us at Parris Island about the M1 Garand, so the scores for 6thMarines went down that year at the rifle range. We soon learned to appreicate it and the scores went back up and yes I would think Parris Island was still using M1's in 1963. Remember the Marine Corps is always last with new equipment.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
I'm sure the mod 1860 was in use for years after the Colt SAA was accepted and issued. And I would bet that there are crates of those and SAA in a warehouse. Probably at Anniston. I know they have crates of Trapdoors. Why not revolvers.

·
Registered
568 Posts
mwhite49 Orest told me they are next to the NOS Jeeps in the warehouse on the left side half way back from the bathrooms. Or did he say latrine?

·
Registered
272 Posts
In the early 1990s, when I was still on active duty with the Air Force, I had access to a computer that had a direct line to the Federal Supply System. Using it, I ran down Federal Stock Numbers for 1903 Springfields, M-1 Garands, Trapdoor Springfields, Colt SAAs, Colt 1860s, Remington 1863s, Spencer Carbines and Remington Rolling Blocks...all showed stock on hand! If only I could have gotten away with ordering a few of each.;)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I was with the 6thMarines at Camp Lejeune and late 1962 we were told to go to the armory with our M1's for the new M14's. I got mine which was a H&R and I hated it along with other Marines who couldn't stand it. It was beaten into us at Parris Island about the M1 Garand, so the scores for 6thMarines went down that year at the rifle range. We soon learned to appreicate it and the scores went back up and yes I would think Parris Island was still using M1's in 1963. Remember the Marine Corps is always last with new equipment.
Been 52 years since i fired one but it seems as if the M-14 was just a slightly modified M-1.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts