Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent link ( http://members.aol.com/lmanwebdesign/ColtTour.html ) by dferriswheel, outlining a factory tour, hit home to me just how difficult it must be to survive in todays business climate. While there is nothing I would like more than for the Colt factory to 'live long and prosper', the last new Colt I bought was 6 or 7 years ago(a SAA), today with the demise of the Python, there is nothing that Colt produces that has any interest to me. My quess is and I could be very wrong, the only new Colt product forum members are likely to buy is a factory letter.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Gave myself a Christmas present in 1993,by buying a 4.75" 44/40 New Frontier,new in box,for $600.Was made in the last year of production,1981. Dealer had just bought a bunch of them from a "speculator".

A friend bought a Desert Eagle .357 there at the same time,so we took em' immediately to my "backyard range" for testing. Within 50 rds,that N.F. had a cylinder ring that would take most SAAs 50 years of use to get! Really outta time. After replacing the bolt,and some home gunsmithing,action is smooth and in time. Added an extra .44 Special cylinder I bought new.

This is when I began to think that MOST of the "last"(!) 3rd SAAs and N.F.s made in late 70's-early 80's,were just screwed together,for the collector/investor market,and were never intended to be even "turned",let alone fired!!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i bought a new h-bar in 1993, just before the klinton crime bill passed.a very accurate rifle i wish i still owned, sold it in 2000 after i moved to town. i had a 4x burris compact scope on it and killed many coyotes, and 1 red fox with it. just about all of them were one shot affairs so i figured i really didn`t need a 700$ repeater.your point is well taken, colt makes nothing now save the ar, saa that i would want.heres a photo of my 2 sons taken in the winter of 94 when we had a big snow, i thinned the coyote herd pretty hard that yr.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Quite a while, don't remember the date. Last one was a Magnum Carry that I wish I still had.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The last new Colt I purchased was 1992. It's a 1911A-1 Lightweight Officers Model Enhanced.

Dave

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
last month

another one on lay-away

rayb

·
Registered
324 Posts
In the 70's??? C'mon guys. No wonder they're belly up!
I bought a couple Anacondas around 1994-95. A 22 Target around there too. Then a Cowboy aroound 2001 (?) after things had already gone South for Colt. I was eyeing the Pocket Nine but never got serious.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Actually bought the 1981 [email protected] xmas 93',which was later than my last "NEW" Smith and Wessons!!! An M-16-4,M-610 and M-544 ALL bought in 1990-92. ALL 3 are "odd calibers"-and great to shoot and reload for!

Tried to "get "serious" about buying one of the S&W Heritage series of Target Revolvers in .44 Special,or .45 Colt-but felt that the box was the BEST part of the gun!!! Case coloring turned me off too-and compared to my earlier N frame targets-a joke.

Just NOT Colt-I just DON'T buy "NEW" guns. Been tempted by a US Patent Firearms "clone" of the flattop SAA-but price,fragile finish,and massive depreciation as soon as pull the trigger holds me back!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm with you on this one lonewolf. I have added to my collection but rarely buy NIB guns and for exactly the same reasons as you. Last NEW s&w was a model 24 back in the 70's.
I was also turnde off by the case coloring on the heritage revolvers and none of them compared to my N-frame.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Three years ago my wife bought me a 4" Stainless Python Elite for my 18th(oops, add a decade or two) birthday, followed it up at Christmas with a stainless xse C. Commander (yes, she IS wonderful), and two years ago right about now I myself bought a NIB 70 repro. All are often fired and will be with me until my son and grandkids inherit them and the rest of the Colt/Win. .22 bunch. -Asa

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Never did. Closest was an SF-VI around 1996, but I bought a less expensive semi instead. Have since rectified that situation several times, but not with NIB pieces. I have avoided NIB, especially at the inflating prices now, because I want to at least handle if not shoot, am not looking at strictly investment and don't want the "responsibility". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bought an XSE (at least that's what I think it was called) in Govt. and Officer's models three years ago. Don't know what I could have been thinking. Sold 'em within a couple of months. Didn't shoot either of them. Scared I wouldn't be able to get my money back out of 'em.
f.t.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Around 1998 I bought a XS. That was my last factory-new Colt. A very accurate and reliable gun. My brother just bought the new Series 70 model last week.

·
Registered
946 Posts
SAA09554, Sorry, just remembered I bought a couple of SAAs new in the 80s and 90s, and probley some used ones since, but I like the old stuff, seldom if ever new. Got a ton of S&Ws, colts and winchesters, majority of them older then 1960 or so.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Around 2005 I bought a COLT 1911 WWI, And I would buy more it colt would make them at a lower cost, Ruger,NAA,RRA, All make nice pistoland rifle at a good price, colt need to just get some new crc machines and go to town, more you make the lower the cost it will be, and if it is labor cost move to the south or mid state, colt should know that it's 2006 not 1849, but this IMOP.

·
Registered
689 Posts
"When did you buy your last factory Colt"

Just this past winter (2005)... I acquired a Government XSE... It is anything but my 1st Colt, I have quite a few and have had a number of others...

Contrary to some belly aching you may come across elsewhere, the new Colts perform just as good as my much older ones...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts