Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crap crap crap... will you people stop putting buy-it-now prices that I just can't refuse !!!
2 days ago it was a New in box SS King Cobra Snubbie for $550, today it's another damn Mint Python for $695... Arghhhhhhhhh
Help, take this computer away from me.
Some days I wish I collected Taurus or Rossi instead of Colts. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I doubt it ever will. I'm actually ashamed of what I've spent this year alone on Colt's. And too damn afraid to put the formula in the spreadsheet for the grand total.
Granted I have few in comparison to some of you hard core guys.

That being said, let's see the pictures when you get them!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
Stop sniveling you little wimp.

You knew this was a rough business when you started, and that wallets would be early casualties.

Look at it this way, you can really Wow the other geezers in the poor house with your collection of fine, long-discontinued Colt's.

Take it from a man who's "too soon old, too late smart": Buy Colt's. NEVER sell Colt's.
When you're not buying Colt's....Buy Ammo for Colt's.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Big "D" slaps me in the face with the sniveling little whimp call.
Thanks, I needed that.
Actually, I'm only complaining because they're too damn cheap. If they were more, I could pass them up... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's kinda funny in another way too, in the fact that not very many people call 6 foot 4 inches at 225 little.

Thanks "D" I'm Ok now. I'm over it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well said 'defaris' and the same goes here.......... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Start looking for mint Pre-war models and I think you can stop complaining about prices being so cheap.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
GUNKWAZY:

All I can tell you and the other guys is this:
I look back at all the fine guns in general and the Colt's in particular I passed up because I thought I should save the money.

I now wonder what I was saving it FOR.
The money is long gone, but the memory of the missed guns lingers.

The same holds true for selling, or worse, trading guns.
There's always something you want more at the moment, and only years later do you realize that what you got was less than what you had, especially in Colt's.

I still have some good Colt's, but the memory of the ones I USED to have haunts me still.

When I was young, my Mother always worried about me spending money on guns.
I always shut her up by reminding her that two of my brothers would spend that and more during a long Saturday at the local bars.
"At least I have something to show for it" usually ended the complaints for a time.

Now I'm retired and poor, and most of the guns are long gone, but the ones I do have are treasures that mean more than any other possession.

There's a reason, lost in the mists of time as to why men who can, collect weapons.

When you get old and gray, those guns "you really couldn't afford" will have more value to you than any material possession.
You need to plan for old age, but I heartily recommend buying fine guns instead of the latest, greatest, "gotta have it" electronic toy or faster, shinier car.

Long after the toys and cars are nothing but a fading memory, a fine gun will be ever more important to you.

Buy guns.
You'll enjoy it, and people like Schumer, Clinton, and Kerry will hate it.
A "two-fer" is always good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess I should consider myself lucky that I live in a state that does not let you buy from other states. I would really be broke if that wasn't the case. It's a catch 22.

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifFC

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Buy Colt's. NEVER sell Colt's.
When you're not buying Colt's....Buy Ammo for Colt's.

[/ QUOTE ]
sage advise, listen you younger guy`s. well said wheel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man oh man, sarcasm on this board can get you slapped around like a Redheaded stepchild.
I realized there were so many people complaining about the Colt's and their prices and how they have gone out of reach, but I turn around and there's another gun that's priced great that I can't pass up.
I think the people that are doing all the complaining have given up on the hunt.
I was not really complaining nor sniveling (as I'm told), as I truley love the hunt, more so than the guns themselves.
To me doing the searching at the shows/auctions & gun shops and finding a little gem that other people don't see and snatching it for a smokin deal is where it's all at.
There really still is great deals out there on great guns, you just need to stay with the hunt and keep in touch with the people that help you find those deals along the way.
If you've given up on the hunt, then you've given up collecting and your heart is done beating.
I personally love the hunt for that next great gun or next great deal.
This is a little story that I wrote on another gun board.
If you have the time, read what the complaining sniveling whimp wrote about and tell me it doesn't hit home with being at the gunshow.
****The local gunshow.... the thrill of the hunt.
Another day of standing in line going to the local gun show.
You finally get in and look around. Same old thing you think to yourself as you see the same dealers with the same over priced guns. Over and over you've been coming to this show and many times you go home without an item in hand at the end of the day, thinking to yourself you'll never find that one gun for your collection you've looked for time & time again.
You give the standard nod & smile to the guys you've seen and chatted with in the past.
You cruise the isles back & forth so much that your eyes physically get tired. You start to think to yourself that it's just another wasted day, when you stumble upon a new gentleman sitting there at a table you have not seen before.
Hmmm.. wonder if this guys stuff is overpriced junk like a lot of the others. You're happy to see he's not selling cheap knives made in Taiwan, T-shirts or Beef Jerky treats. He actually has guns in front of him.
Nobody is even giving him the time of day.
Your eyes scan through his firearms and what's this ? No way... you can't be sure until you ask if you can pick it up to look at it. You notice that your heart is starting to beat a little faster. He says "Sure help yourself ." You reach down to pick it up, and as you do, you notice the palms of your hands are starting to sweat.
You pick it up and it's the one. It's as beautiful an example as you've always hoped to find. You try to remain so calm you look bored. Now you realize you haven't taken a breath since you've picked it up and now have to take in a gasp of air. You think to yourself, how can I look calm if my palms are sweating, my heart rate is irregular and I've just gasped for air.
You ask the gentleman the next question "How much you want on this one ?" as you pretend to look at the others he has on his table.
He says "Well that's a pretty nice one." You respond with "Yeah she looks like she's in pretty nice shape."
You now realize during all this a dealer has walked up behind you and you can just about feel his breath on the back of your neck. You feel his eyes peering over your shoulder looking at the gun you have in your hand. You can just barely see him in your peripheral vision, but can't tell who it is.
The seller finally says a price that is way lower than you would have ever imagined. You've now noticed that your heart rate has now gone up another notch in the RPM range. You tell the seller that that sounds like a fair deal as you can't pull your money fast enough out of your pocket.
You now notice the person behind you is walking away.
You hand the seller the cash knowing you've just made the score of a lifetime.
As he starts to hand you the gun, he stops and says briskly "Wait a minute."
Your brain automatically starts thinking at High speed.... No, it can't go wrong now, he already has the money. Just hand me the gun. Don't stop now.
Time feels like it has almost stopped. Every second seems like a minute, every minute seems like an hour.
Please don't tell me you quoted the wrong price, just give me the gun you're thinking. C-mon man, the deals done, hand me the gun.
The gentleman reaches under the table and says "I'm sorry....."
No, not the I'm sorry, you don't want to hear I'm sorry.
I'm sorry, he says. I almost forgot to give you the box.
You're brain comes to a screeching halt.
He hands you the pristine box and as you look inside it has the original manual , paperwork and receipt. The gentleman looks at you and says "I remember buying that one brand new, and you know what, I've never even shot it after all these years."
You stand there in disbelief. This is not really happening. You just made my day, better yet my year you think to yourself.
A feeling of happiness and satisfaction comes over you as you walk from the table knowing that this is the entire reason you do this. Purely for the love of the hunt and sometimes getting lucky enough to find the deal of a lifetime.

I hope this little story wasn't boring and I hope it hit home for some of you.
Good luck to all of you, and never stop loving the thrill of the hunt.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great story Jeff!! I'd have to say I can relate to that!! My heart started beating faster just reading your story, and then to get to the I'm sorry part.....I even said out loud....."OH NO"!!!! LOL!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The madness never ends. Little did I know when I bought my first one about 20 years ago.
Now some of the local dealers call me at home to tell me about new acquisitions.
The minute I walk in the door at a local gunshow they all know I'm a sucker for a neat old (or new) Colt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Isn't is true that back in the day you older fellas bought up all them darn colts back when they were still available for a couple of silver dollars in the general store - or won them in a gunfight? Now how 'bout selling them at a reasonable price to all of us 39(again)-year olds /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The funny thing is that those Silver Dollars (Morgans especially Carson City) in mint shape are worth hundreds of dollars and some are thousands as well.

Jeff (Gunkwazy)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jeff,
Yes indeed Morgans - I mean the Standing Liberty - why that's the S&W of silver dollars /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Jeff, I re-live that story almost everytime I go to a gunshow. I swear I will never go back to that one again, but I can't help myself, the next time it comes around there I am money in hand at the gate and starting to feel the anticipation once again that this will be the one time I will find that perfect gun I have been looking for. It never ends, it is a madness, a sickness, but what the hell I am too old to do anything else with my time and money, so Saturday Lakeland here I come!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Diamondback68, I'll be at the Lakeland suncoast show this Sat. after I leave work at 12 noon. Please, please leave something there for me to find. If not, grab it up for me and we'll meet at the concession area. Brad

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Please, please leave something there for me to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be cool if Dick found some old Colt that he knew Brad would pick up to look at, and then stick a note under it saying something like "I left this one for you Brad".
Brad would fall over if that happened. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts