Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly all the distributors that carry Colts seem to be always out
of stock of genuine Colt 1911 pistols.

I don't get it. Colt should be making more to meet the demand.

Next time you go to a large gun store just check for yourself and
see how many real Colt 1911 new production pistols are in stock.

I am sure glad that about 5 years ago I purchased a beautiful 1911 reproduction
Colt with military markings and carbonia blue finish made by the
Colt Custom Shop. Still have not shot it yet, but will someday.

There are so many 1911 clones out there, more than I can list or remember,
now I guess that is a sincere compliment to Colt.

Also, why is it that Colt does not make a .22 lr pistol in their line,
now I am not talking about the Walther Umarex 1911 pistol made in
Germany.

It would appear that a 1911 Colt .22 lr full size pistol with a solid chamber
for more accuracy would sell, and I would buy one.

In closing it seem like everytime that Colt makes a limited run of
1911 pistols they sell out before the last one is even made.....

Come on Colt get bussssssy.......

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
As a nomenclature pedantic, I have to point out that Colt does not make Models of 1911 anymore. Other than the limited run of reproductions like you purchased, the last Colt Model of 1911 was made in 1923.

That aside, Colt is making as many guns as it has ability to produce. Asking Colt to make new models is futile when it cannot supply the demand for guns it is already making.

I agree that a return of the Service Model Ace .22 would have been a better use of resources than the New Agent and similar models. Colt marketing has always been puzzling, and it continues.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't get it. Colt should be making more to meet the demand.

Next time you go to a large gun store just check for yourself and
see how many real Colt 1911 new production pistols are in stock.

Come on Colt get bussssssy.......
Oh Boy....It's time for yet another "I can't find a Colt" thread! :bang_wall:

Colt made somewhere around 50,000 units last year. Perhaps you can offer your services to Colt to crack the whip and get those "unbusy" Colt people actually doing something?

BTW, I see new Colts all the time at the shops I frequent. :D

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
BTW, I see new Colts all the time at the shops I frequent. :D
well i don't know what shops you frequent, you should consider yourself lucky.
i see kimbers, rugers, smiths, taurus, + plastic guns, etc around here, but hardly any new colts.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Colts are as scarce as hens teeth here in these parts too. Once in a while one trickles in, but not too often. Over the years I've managed to pick up a few new ones and some used ones. It helps if you frequent your lgs and let them get to know you. They usually call me when they do get something in. I have on layaway now an old Combat Commander that I will pick up soon.

I would love to see Colt bring back the ACE in some variation but I think the reality is that the price required would be prohibitive for all but the most die-hard Colt fans. There are still some available on the used market but they are commanding a pretty high price these days.

Max

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in eastern Ohio. Last week I traveled to 3 different gun stores, hours apart. Every time I asked if they had any Colts, they looked at me and laughed, like "are you serious". Bud's is out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
New Colt 1911's are in short supply at the gunshops I deal with too. :eek:

One of them has been in business since 1959 and promotes itself as the "America's largest independently owned gun store and features more than 4000 guns in stock on any given day."

BTW, I'm very fond of my New Agent.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was at the dealer today to pick up a few brushes and a cleaning rod. Went over to the pistol counter and I was struck dumb. They had 2 new Colts. One was a 1918 repro something or other and the other was a stainless Gold Cup. Counter guy said they had not seen one in 9 months. I examined the gun and said I would be back for it in a few days. Counter guy said it wouldn't last another day so I bought it. I don't know anything about the new Gold Cups but for $999 I took a chance. I pick it up next week. I kind of had it in my mind to buy myself an entry 1911 45ACP with adj. sites of some kind but never suspected something like this. I wanted a Colt but knew they were a rare bird. Just blind luck I guess. Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts