Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 4" barreled python from a friend and I would like to get a 8" barrel for it. The search didn't pull any results. I imagine since colt is not currently producing them they may not be available new and gunbroker only has one used 6". Also does the new barrel need to be fitted to the frame or is it a simple screw on assembly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Where can I python barrels?

Found the site by google. One remaning question is many of the barrels listed are noted "New Threads" Is this refering to a change in thread pitch on the later 90's models?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
Here's the main sources of GOOD usable Python barrels:

As above, Gun Parts Corporation

Direct from Colt.

Brownell's:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schemat...p;model=Python+

Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

Cylinder & Slide
245 E. 4th St
Fremont, NE 68026
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

Both Pittsburgh and C&S MAY have barrels, and are qualified to install them.

Colt did make a change to the Python barrel threads in the late 1990's.

It's easy to ID whether a barrel is New style or Old style by the number of pins are drilled for the front sight.
Old Style threaded barrels have TWO pins.
New Style threaded barrels have ONE pin.

Changing a revolver barrel is a pistolsmith job ONLY. There is FAR more than "just screwing it on".
The job requires a fair amount of VERY expensive equipment, and much of that equipment is gun-specific.
Which means that few of todays gunsmiths will have it.

The process is involved, and it's either done EXACTLY right, or the gun will not shoot right, and may even be unsafe.
In the case of the Python, part of it's reputation for extreme accuracy is due to the care at which the barrel is fitted.

There are problems with getting USABLE Python barrels.

The supply of Old Style barrels is drying up.
The danger with buying a USED barrel from a gun show or Ebay is, often these barrels have problems that can prevent their being used, or make using them inadvisable.

The problem with used barrels is, often the barrel is removed because it has a problem.

Even in the case of people just wanting a different length, like you, it's not uncommon for the barrel change to have been done by a unqualified person, often using "expedient" tooling.

This means the barrel is often damaged or defective, and you're buying someone else's trouble.

This is more common than you might think.
I found a fair number of bad barrels when asked to do a barrel change with a barrel the owner bought from a gun show or out of The Shotgun News.
Today, with the internet and Ebay, the "supply" of bad barrels seems to have increased.

This can be a problem for the buyer, because you CANNOT always "eyeball" a problem, and the trouble only starts to be apparent when the 'smith actually starts to attempt to install the barrel.

In a number of cases, this meant the owner had wasted money on an unusable barrel.

Of course, these days, the owner just re-sells the bad barrel on Ebay, and passes it on to the next guy.

For these reasons, I usually recommend the buyer just buy a Python with the barrel length they want.

In your case, if your buddy is giving you a deal just too good to pass up, OK, but keep in mind that finding a good, usable barrel MAY be difficult, as well as expensive, AND finding a Colt-qualified pistolsmith to install it is TOUGH.

Colt may or may no do a change with a used barrel.
Pittsburgh and C&S might.

Local gunsmiths are more likely to botch the job and damage or ruin an expensive Python, since VERY few are either qualified to work on Colt's and fewer still have the Colt-specific tooling to do the job.

Bottom line is: It would be far less expense and grief to just buy a Python with your favorite barrel on it.
If your buddies Python is a great deal, buy it and either keep it or sell it at a profit later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the excellent reply. How fortunate for me that I live in Pittsburgh, so I will drop by there and inquire. The gun is an old style thread, and for $350 there is no way I can pass on it. It does have considerable holster wear, but its mechanically perfect.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
For $350.00 you'd need to have your head shrunk NOT to buy it.

I suggest jumping on that Python like a half-starved hound dawg leaping on a bone.

Especially before the seller changes his mind.

As for finding an 8" barrel, I'm not sure if the lack of popularity of the 8" will make it easier, or harder to find a good barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts