Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can i buy red ramp sight for \'78 python?

hi,

where can i buy red ramp/white outline sights for a '78 python?

the newer pythons have 1 pin and this '78 has 2 pins on the front sight. anyone know where i can find 2 pin RR/WO and what a fair price for them would be?

thanks,

mike

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Re: where can i buy red ramp sight for \'78 python?

Gun Parts have the white outline rear blades:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=227640M

And the Red-Orange front sight blades:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=189430A

Other sources are :
http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

http://www.parts4guns.com/

Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

NOTE: The late single pin Python front sight is the same as the older Diamondback sight.
These can be used on two-pin Pythons by simply drilling the
extra hole.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

dfariswheel,

you always seem to come through for everybody.

thank you and thank you again and thank you for all the guys who never thank you,

mikem

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

hey,

what is a fair price for a colt python sight kit as described above. one just went for $66 on ebay.

thanks,

mike

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts

If you mean a front sight blade and JUST the rear sight blade itself, that's WAAAAAAYYYYYYY over priced.

Front and rear sight blades are going for around $8.00 to $12.00 each, depending on where you buy them.

True, until just recently the fronts have been hard to find.

A Colt Accro complete rear goes for about $50.00.

·
Registered
49 Posts

"the newer pythons have 1 pin and this '78 has 2 pins on the front sight. anyone know where i can find 2 pin RR/WO and what a fair price for them would be?"

I thought the oldest Pythons had only one pin in the front sight? Mine '67 four incher has only one pin.

Jared

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts

The newer Pythons have ONE pin, the older ones have TWO.

When Colt changed the barrel and frame threads to the "New Style", they also changed the sight to a one pin version.
This both saved money, and alerted the gunsmith to the fact that this was a New Style thread gun.

I forget just when the change was made, but it was in the mid to late 1990's as I recall.

A Python made as far back as 1967 would certainly have a two pin sight and the Old Style threads.
I suggest rechecking your serial number/production date.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Oops /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I guess I should have looked at the gun before I posted, it does have two pins holding on the front sight blade. It also has the type two grips, with the thumb rest on the left side only and checking that partially extends around the gold medallion. The serial # is 670XX with a "P" below it, that is 1967 correct? Anyone know what the "P" means? Also it has an "O" rollmark below the rampant Colt logo right up against the stock panel.

Jared

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts

670XX is 1967.
Colt usually has a letter below the serial number. This is an inspector's mark.
Letters are only part of the serial when they're actually WITH the numbers. i.e. A1234 or 1234A.

Another inspector's letter is stamped on the left rear side of the trigger guard.

The Colt "Verified Proof" is a tiny "VP" in a triangle is stamped on the left front trigger guard.

Under the grips, on the frame you'll usually find a number of letters stamped, and these too are inspector's stamps.

In the 60's a lot of Colt revolvers had the letters "INS" stamped on the frame, and many people think this stands for "Immigration And Naturalization Service", indicating a government-owned gun.
It doesn't, they too are inspector's stamps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts