Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

does anyone where i might pick up some Python grips similar to these?

any idea as to the wood type?

how about just the generic name for the grip type, ie. "standard target" etc?

i just need some descriptors so i may start searching online if no one knows of a source for grips like these.

thanks,

mike

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Those are aftermarket grips, made I "think" in India.
I don't think they've been made for some years.

I see these turn up from time to time on Ebay.

This grip is technically a "Third Type" Colt Target grip, but few people other than Colt "nuts" call them anything other than "Python grips".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you dfarriswheel,

does anyone have an idea what type of wood this is? the "stripes" almost look painted on. do you suppose this grain pattern(?)is real?

mike

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Perhaps some unusually high contrast rosewood or zebrawood. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like some old growth Zebrawood to me. I have some in my garage like it. My wife's a woodworker so we have a bunch of exotics around.

Note to you all. The grain on Zebrawood varies in strength. The dark is hard, the light is softer as I remember it. Anyway, watch your fingers when sawing the stuff!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Cool. Do a Google search on macassar and see what you think. Especially look at the guitars. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
A1A:
Yup. I've got a bar made out of Macassar, but it's probably veneer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Beautiful stuff...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey, mikem
I saw a pair on fleaBay about a month ago...As I recall they went for about $ 100. The seller referred to them as 'tigerwood', and as being extremely dense and heavy. Pretty neat-looking grips you have there, and they certainly highlight that nice blue Python!
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts