Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunbroker wants $2500 or more for new SAA's. I'm looking for a .45 LC in 5.5". Not concerned about the wait period, just not interested in paying $1000 markup.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sorry, the sad news is that you won’t find a new 3rd gen lying around in a local gun store. Colt is no longer taking orders so the gun is virtually impossible to buy at MSRP. Good luck though.

·
Premium Member
7,821 Posts
The SAA's have been so scarce, many folks aren't totally aware that, as per the Colt.com under catalog , revolver, SAA- the MSRP is now $1799 for the blued, and $1999 for the nickel SAA. Add the average 7% (give or take) tax to $1799 and the blued is now $1924, before any dealer factors in that it's gonna be possibly 3 years or more before they get another to sell. ( that's the average interval for three gun shops that were my last SAA purchases. )
So, online prices are still running high. They know how hard it is for them to find a new production SAA to sell, and the choices for the consumer are limited.
My personal opinion is a SAA with a $2K or under tag is a hot sale right now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good feedback. I looked at ordering from colt 2 years ago but couldn't make up my mind on caliber and length and now I am paying for my procrastination.

Like I said, I am not in a rush... So I will keep on looking and hopefully one shows up.

I remember them being $1600 when I was lookin last. So they are appreciating, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah it really is a sad situation. But somewhere out there there has to be a new 2017 Model now you just have to find it.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
You need to be patient and not just be stuck on 3rd generation. Here is one that you may be interested and there are others out there. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696448045. Check Cabelas gun library and have it shipped to one nearest you, or if you have an C&R, and it is old enough, then it can be shipped directly to you. I purchased a 2007 .44-40 for around 1900 NIB a couple of months ago. There have been some good 2nd generation for less than $1500, just no box or paperwork. Yes the prices have gone up, but so has the demand, capitalism at its best.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
As much as I love my SAAs, I have to say $1,800.00 for a new CCH/Blue and $2,000.00 for nickle is nuts; not even considering the inflated secondary market prices. Any thoughts of my buying another new SAA are gone. Colt doesn't have to officially discontinue the SAA, they are just going to price it out of the market. I will though always keep my eyes open for a decently priced 1st or 2nd gen.

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Those prices are way beyond my comprehension. A used 2nd generation Colt Frontier Sixshooter .44-40 Centennial sold for $1600 here in the classifieds last week, and I saw it sit there for a few days. That is one of the best post WW2 SAAs ever made. Deals are out there if you are always looking, have the money, and jump in fast. Buying a new gun that will instantly be a used gun the second you fire it is not worth to me the hundreds of more bucks people are asking. I would check the ads on this forum early every day. Something will pop up that looks brand new, maybe without a box and probably be $1600 or less.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
If all you are looking for is a NIB .45 SAA, you had better be patient, because you will be in for a long wait. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks for the good feedback. I looked at ordering from colt 2 years ago but couldn't make up my mind on caliber and length and now I am paying for my procrastination.
If you'd ordered one two years ago, you'd probably still be waiting.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled. They do come up, and at good prices. Have to keep looking and have the cash on hand. See if you have a local gun classifieds for your area / state. Also, Gunbroker will surprise you sometimes. It is a hunt, no doubt, but you gotta be persistent. The worst is when you finally find that deal, but the wallet is empty!

I also have no desire to pay these high prices. I get the availability issues, but some patience and persistence will pay off. If you happen upon one of the good Gunbroker deals (and they do happen once in a blue moon), don't post it to a forum!

Reactions: wolfcoln

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Yep this is the best advice. I have searches and check every day. You can check collectors firearms in Houston too. Every once in awhile they will have something reasonable. Search your Cabelas online too. But most of all be patient and save your money so when find one you can buy it.

Keep your eyes peeled. They do come up, and at good prices. Have to keep looking and have the cash on hand. See if you have a local gun classifieds for your area / state. Also, Gunbroker will surprise you sometimes. It is a hunt, no doubt, but you gotta be persistent. The worst is when you finally find that deal, but the wallet is empty!

I also have no desire to pay these high prices. I get the availability issues, but some patience and persistence will pay off. If you happen upon one of the good Gunbroker deals (and they do happen once in a blue moon), don't post it to a forum!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. I have the money on hand, so that's not the issue... just finding one reasonably priced has been the issue. It's going to be a shooter, so really I just want something reliable and fun. I had a 2nd Gen but ended up selling it as the sear felt light and the gun seemed like it had been tinkered with so I sold it and disclosured the issues I saw. I'm not 100% needing a new one, but I figured since I don't know much mechanically about these I would be better off buying new.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Buying a new gun that you're goin' to shoot is like buying a new car which depreciates ~$6000 the moment you drive out of the dealership!

For longevity and reliability, you should always get a Jim Martin (member here) action job anyway. I hate to hear you sold a 2nd gen! He'd have made your 2nd gen better than when it was new, and better than any new 3rd gen, literally!

So save hundreds, look for a nice used gun, and spend a few dollars to have Jim Martin work his magic on it! And spend your savings on ammo.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
That's right! Never buy anything new unless it is unavoidable, in which case, this is not. Nothing worse than paying retail.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I have had opportunities present themselves both ways. I have and I do purchase great used SAA's and I have gotten good deals on brand new SAA's. I have a 2016 NIB, .45 SAA, that I would not sell for the $1600 I paid for it. I think the most prudent advice that has been repeatedly given, is to be patient.

That's right! Never buy anything new unless it is unavoidable, in which case, this is not. Nothing worse than paying retail.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts