Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most recognized American trademarks is Colt's rampant pony. What I always find amazing is that Colt sometimes doesn't put their famous trademark on some of their pistols. The old rollmark 1991s come to mind. Introduced in late 1990, the ORM 1991 was introduced to compete with low end 1911-A1 Springfield Armory pistols and was advertised as a continuation from where the original WWII Colts left off. Colt even used serial numbers that were a continuation from the WWII pistols and parkerized the early 1991s. One thing that Colt forgot to do on the early Colt Model 1991s was to place a TM for Trademark after the 1991 rollmark. Most if not all of the very early 91's were missing the "TM." They also didn't use a rampant Colt rollmark on the slide. Yes, they put the pony on the fragile black plastic grips, but not on the slide. Another pistol that comes to mind is the double action Double Eagles. No pony rollmarks. Now with the introduction of the contract USMC Colt .45, a significant event in the history of Colt, there is no prancing pony rollmark anywhere on the pistol. What do you think? Should the USMC pistol have the rampant Colt proudly rollmarked on the slide? I think it should.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YUP THEY SHOULD,
THE NEW TROPHY GOLD CUPS DON'T HAVE IT EITHER:bang_wall:
To me, it's like Ford not putting the blue oval with the Ford script on their cars. Eventually the pony was placed on the NRM 1991s only after Colt fans made the suggestion that the 1991 rollmarks needed to be changed, and Colt obliged.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked down at the "similar threads" listing and the absent pony has been discussed before. When I saw the USMC without the pony I was quite surprised and posted without checking for similar threads. :eek:

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
YUP THEY SHOULD,
THE NEW TROPHY GOLD CUPS DON'T HAVE IT EITHER:bang_wall:
I'm rather disappointed that Colt decided to omit the Rampant Colt motif on the Gold Cup (especially MINE ;) ). It certainly couldn't have been that big of a cost savings to have it included, could it? I'm ashamed that such a traditional marking on their firearms is missing and truly wish they'd reconsider and add it back and continue to have it on ALL Colts.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm rather disappointed that Colt decided to omit the Rampant Colt motif on the Gold Cup (especially MINE ;) ). It certainly couldn't have been that big of a cost savings to have it included, could it? I'm ashamed that such a traditional marking on their firearms is missing and truly wish they'd reconsider and add it back and continue to have it on ALL Colts.
Exactly. This is a very big deal to most Colt fans. I would hope that the Colt marketing folks would remember the histrory that that little pony represents.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
What gun exactly started the rampant Colt stamps? I have a 1902 auto with it, a 1911 WWI with it. I don't have an original Peacemaker but newer ones have it. The oldest Colt I own is a 1849 Pocket without a rampant Colt.
The rampant Colt was started in the early 1890's on SAA's

·
Registered
440 Posts
What gun exactly started the rampant Colt stamps? I have a 1902 auto with it, a 1911 WWI with it. I don't have an original Peacemaker but newer ones have it. The oldest Colt I own is a 1849 Pocket without a rampant Colt.
I have a set of 1959 Colt Derringers, model 4, Has the Colt name on the barrel, but no pony, same thing on my 2002 Gold Cup, no pony. Not sure about my new Combat Commander as I had to return it to Colt for some warranty work.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Horrors! My heart jumped in my throat when I read this thread. I ran to check my own Colts, knowing that they, fortunately, all have the Rampant Colt. I've owned one of them for the last 22 years, have seen the logo countless times, but I guess I just needed to look again to feel warm and fuzzy. Silly or what? :eek:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Horrors! My heart jumped in my throat when I read this thread. I ran to check my own Colts, knowing that they, fortunately, all have the Rampant Colt. I've owned one of them for the last 22 years, have seen the logo countless times, but I guess I just needed to look again to feel warm and fuzzy. Silly or what? :eek:
Can you imagine a Ford not having their famous Ford script in the blue oval? The Rampant Colt rollmark is a must on a Colt firearm, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.