Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For better or worse I now feel that I have purchased all the modern pistols that I want or need. I am very interested in the Colt double action revolvers. I have collected a few over the years, but would now like to get a bit more serious. I would like to buy a few reference books to learn some more about Colt revolvers. Which ones should I buy?

Thanks,
John

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
And the step up is The Book of Colt Firearms, also by R. L. Wilson. Harder to find, although available, and noticeably more expensive, but more a "organized" presentation and more info. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
671 Posts
If older Colt DA revolvers are still of interest to you, then you can't do better than to buy a copy of "A Study of Colt's New Army and Navy Pattern Double Action Revolvers: 1889 - 1908" by Bob Best a.k.a. COLTDAGUY on this forum.

Although limited to the early swing out cylinder models (military and civilian issues), you will recognize the beginnings of the later DAs all the way through to the Pythons and like.

An excellent read, and easily followed and understood.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
At the risk of sounding like we are are obsessed with Jerry Kuhnhausen, I do recommend you at some point get a copy of the 'shop manual' for DA Colts if for nothing else to glean some insight into how these fine pieces of machinery operate.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I like James Serven's book "Colt Firearms 1836-1960" There are various reprints and the title changes with some updated information. The original version was published in 1954. I like the drawings and the organization. Certainly a good book to add to the Colt library.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts