• 45 Colt

• 4 3/4"

• 5.5"

• 7.5"

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only SAA I've ever shot is the one I own. 45 Colt in 4 3/4". I lean as this is my favorite, It lets you know your holding something. I am looking to add a 5 1/2" so my opinion might change.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
44-40 in 4 3/4 edges out 45 Colt but only by a nose for me!
View attachment 716956
I agree, have two .44-40 with 4,75" barrel from 3rd generation which are my favorites and I have two Peacemaker Commemorative in .44-40 with 7,5" barrel. I love the .44-40 cartridges and have several Winchester, one Whitney and one Colt rifle in that caliber. I also have one Uberti SAA with 4,75" barrel in .44-40

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
44-40 with a 7 1/2" barrel.
Have them from Colt, USFA and Uberti.
Very accurate load, WW 231 6,8 grain on top a .428 / 200grain copperclad bullet. (Indoor range)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have to agree with the .44-40 guys. I would have picked it if it had been an option. I have seven Colt SAAs and two USFAs. My favorites have 7 1/2 inch barrels. If they were out of bounds then I’d fall back to .38-40s of which I have seven SAAs and again my favorites have 7 1/2 inch barrels. At age 71 the further that front sight is the better I see it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I want one of those so bad! What year is that one? One of these days I'll find one - no rush. I've even bought a few boxes of ammo when I stumbled on them, just so I'm ready. If you ever tire of "testing" that one out, you know I'm just a PM away. ;)
Just hang on there! It would make and excellent stable mate to the 1920 .41 Colt Army Special here. I often wonder how it came to be in the deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky. Is it a coincidence, but do the .41 caliber Colts seem to show up more often in places where there are mine troubles? Seems like several went to the Anaconda mine in the 1880s?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Old Tanker, I fit your last post interesting. Whereabouts are you in KY? I grew up in Bloody Mingo County, WV. A river divided our town. The north side was WV. The south side was KY. There was a plenitude of large frame S&W revolvers in pawn shops there in the 1960s.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Old Tanker, I fit your last post interesting. Whereabouts are you in KY? I grew up in Bloody Mingo County, WV. A river divided our town. The north side was WV. The south side was KY. There was a plenitude of large frame S&W revolvers in pawn shops there in the 1960s.
I'm in Elizabethtown. Just about 10 miles due south of this landmark. Mingo has some colorful history too. A pretty famous squabble over I pig, as I recollect. Both sides crossed the Tug to visit mischief upon the other.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry for highjacking this thread. I just realized I should have sent OldTanker a PM instead.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can I vote twice ? I don't have a favorite for just one . That wouldn't be fair .

21 - 40 of 52 Posts