Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only three Colt left out of twenty three and have saved the best for last. A 1892 cililian,A 1901 ARMY and a 1903 Army. Guess I'm stuck on one model,seems strange to keep the ones the military dumped for a larger,more powerful handgun but I am very fond of Teddy Roosevelt and his goings on in Cuba.Also have a trapdoor carbine and a Krag carbine like the ones used in that fiasco.An old timer like me goes for things older so he can feel YOUNG again.HA HA. SO WHAT DO YOU LIKE ???

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've had several Colts come and go my way over the years. Some I was foolish to let slip thru my fingers, but there has always been a Python with me. So my all time favorite has to be the Python. It has also influenced a Diamondback and an Anaconda to take up residence with it due to family resemblence.
The most handsome revolver made to date with the ability to back up it's good looks with performance IMO.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Need you ask, of course it would be the Diamondback! But I do like the DS as well, I guess I'm a D frame kinda guy.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a pretty significant collection of 6 Diamondbacks and a couple of Pythons that got turned into part of a downpayment on our first house. My wife was sympathetic and I'm not as gun poor now. My current favorite is a 1960 OMM 38, the action is as smooth as anything I've shot, the SA trigger is light and crisp, and it seems to put almost anything in the black (I wish I could).

·
Registered
794 Posts
Tough question. That's almost like asking which of your kids do you love the most!

Like DB68, I love the D-frames. And the Python, as Majic aptly puts it, has no equal in raw handsome appearance and performance. But I feel the poor-mans J-frame Trooper MK's are terribly under rated.

But if I had to choose only 1 Colt revolver as my favorite, I'd be forced to choose a SAA with 7 1/2" barrel, 45LC in nickel.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 01-09-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
So SEBCo you "had a pretty significant collection of Diamondbacks" and you didn't sell them to me. Boy, I know who my friends are now. Only kidding. Sorry you had to part with them as they would be a nice investment now.
By the way, WELCOME to the board!

WS23 you say 7 1/2", I say 5 1/2".

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-09-2004).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Folks, please forgive DB68 he had a typo there & really meant 7 1/2!

He is old & his fingers got mixed up. We cut him slack around here!!
Besides he has the nicest Diamonback collect around!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Diamonback,

Next time I'll know better and e-mail you before I dump a Colt wheelgun! Why is it we have to get old and grey before we really figure out what is important in life: a happy spouse (that loves to fish and shoots bullseye) and lot's of shootin irons.

What I did not have to sell was my pre-war National Match and a (dare I post it here) S&W 52-2 38 wadcutter pistol, I just enjoyed shooting these too much. It does pain me to think about the 6" nickel Diamondback, I was pretty fond of the 4" blue 38 too now that I think about them, dang it, why did I even get involved in this post!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
SEBCo
I know how to get even with guys like you.
You will rue the day you ever sold a Diamondback.
Eat your heart out. Only kidding of course.

Some of you guys already saw these.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 4" Anaconda .44mag. has exceeded my expectations , a great shooter and the one I'd keep if only allowed one gun.

[This message has been edited by shortcut (edited 01-10-2004).]

·
Registered
516 Posts
New Frontier Buntline .22 - don't know why I like it so much. I've had several single actions, including Colt SAA, they just don't fit me somehow, except for this one. Great action, great shooter:

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
New Service in all variations . I have 8 or 9 of them . Only a couple photographed though . Here's a 1920 vintage 44-40 7.5" .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Them PPs is nice, ain't they?

------------------
Fore Warned is Fore Armed... Pogo
Unless it's four worned out guns... Albert

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
As good as it looks this lil guy could be my favorite, but I haven't had the heart to shoot it to realy find out.

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
As I like pre-war vintage Colt revolvers , here's another .
US M1902 .45

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just like some of the others, I also let too many good ones slip away. My first handgun was a blue 4” python, which I traded for a 6” blue python, which I traded for an 8” nickel python, which I foolishly traded for something I don't even remember. The one that I always wanted but just couldn’t get my hands on was a 6” nickel python. I also have a soft spot for a .22 diamondback, and believe the diamondback will fill the next opening in my “must have” list. So what’s my favorite Colt? Of course, it’s my 6” .44 mag Anaconda. Since I use my handguns for hunting, the Anaconda has become my favorite simply by virtue of the fact that it is chambered in what I consider the best hunting caliber for my needs. It would be my choice for a one gun collection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You SAA voters are getting senile. Can't remember which barrel length is best. Got to be 4 3/4". The caliber is either a .44 Special, or a newly acquired .44-40. The Special has blue/CH clothes, and a nice set of two piece ivory trousers. The .44-40 is a little flashier in it's attire...nickel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts