Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Colt, would you experts choose-and, why(As follows):

1)Colt Diamondback, four inch barrel, .38 Special(Made: 1966-86)99%+++. Priced at $700.00! No box!

2)Colt Officer's Model Special, Six inch barrel, .38 Special(Made: 1949-53)99%+++. Priced at $600! With box(But, no tools or papers)!

Please give your reasons(Pro or Con)?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You have to ask?

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I love the Gold Cup, it dances in my hand. Shooting it is pure enjoyment. Nothing like it, nothing.
For revolvers though, I adore the Pythons, and the Anacondas for the pazazz.
I carry a Colt Magnum Carry for defense purposes.
One might feel after reading my posts...I have a hankerin' for Colts... Yep! Sure do.

[This message has been edited by 4thHorseman (edited 03-27-2004).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Colt38! I think you've got the, "apples and oranges," thing bugging you! The Diamondback is a deluxe Police Positive Special, which was a police duty gun from pre-war days. The D's got good sights and is very, "pretty." The rib and under-barrel weight do aid in accuracy, I think. I like the stocks, too. (John Wayne carries one in, "Brannigan!") dafariswheel, on these pages, has told us the D was an, "in-gun," with LAPD in their .38 days, too. The OMS is a target-shooters gun from an earlier era when lots of guys used .38 revolvers in NRA competition. It's a, "game gun." It was bought to make your groups tighter than the other guys! For this work, most guys wanted a 6" barrel and clear, adjustable sights and as light a single-action trigger as they could get. Sure, a cop could carry an OMS - lots of guys did! And, you could enter a contest then or tomorrow with a D gun and not cry over the results, I'm sure. (I'd pay $50 to spend an afternoon with both and see what the difference came to on paper!) I've shot both NRA bullseye style and police combat - a great deal, over the last 30 years or so and just love the shooting sports, especially pistols/revolvers. And, I needed one for work for some years. The evolution involved is simple enough - if we take it for what's happened and don't try to resurrect days-gone-by - which some of us like to do whenever we get the chance! (I really enjoy beating Glock scores with my Official Police!) The picture gets cloudy with so many guns that cross-over the lines. The S&W K-.38 comes to mind or the Python ... nice for target shooting and quite acceptable for police duty, too. Or the S&W #15, the Colt Diamondback, the new Rugers ... there's LOTS of guns that can go either way. So, ... which one do you WANT!? Makes me think of the old joke ... "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, son, practice!" Which is something else young people DON'T DO! But that's another story ... Happy Bullseyes!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Counting pennies I would overlook the Diamondback unless it was a nickel model. Better deals can be found.
The OMS in that good a condition you won't find very often at that price (like almost next to never).
They are 2 very different revolvers and the choice would be hard if you have no real intended purpose for either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts