Colt Forum banner

which is better to collect

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  68python 
#1 ·
as title asked & not considering new built Pythons , KC 's , Anaconda.,
which is better to collect for a return in 20 yrs? . blue , nickel , or stainless steel & 4" , 6" , 8"
looking at 70 , 80's - 90's builds. one of each snake ( maybe not viper ? )
I prefer 4" but the 6" look mighty fine
my take is the Nickel finish , but I do like a beautiful blueing
python , nickel, 4"
king cobra nickel 4"
anaconda nickel 4"
diamondback nickel 4"
boa,
cobra,
viper
whats ya'll's take

#2 ·
I'd say stay away from stainless. Back in the day, it was considered an exotic material and perfect for guns, but today it's just a mass-production shortcut. There is not a finish on a stainless gun, it's basically raw metal, polished somewhat. But I don't collect or own any snakes. Other than a nickel cobra...if that tells you anything.

#5 ·
20 years from now is speculation. The first I heard the term snake guns was maybe 20 years ago. There are many other interesting Colts without the snake name. I might have benefited from that in trooper MKVs (actually all trooper models) and officers models were overlooked. I do believe the new pythons will somewhat flatten the pricing on original pythons. I suppose the biggest return on investment is being an opportunist type buyer ( when the price is right or too good to pass) and not just limit oneself to Colts. Original military and other quality firearms have shot up in price lately too.

#9 ·
See what Colt did. Named a new D frame size .22 revolver, that has all the characters of the legacy Diamondback, as King Cobra Target. That's because they cannot use the name Diamondback anymore. Or at least not without paying the AR15 maker Diamondback the fee.

#15 ·
It’s all individual opinion , but my outlook - and also favorite is blue .
Factory BSTS vs blue value wise is a toss up , with blue definitely coming on strong since reintroduction ( even though it’s a new design ) . I think the fact that they’re all stainless now, pumps up the value of the old blued models ( vs the BSTS ).
Revolver Air gun Trigger Motor vehicle Shotgun
But like mike said , opportunity and price has to be the key factor - these present days though , opportunity is the trump card.
My brite was my first , I look a few times a year for the 4”. Lately they’re definitely looking pretty beat for 25 and up . Even the 4”blue Pythons ( covet that too ) are same starting price for sub par quality. Look for the deals Eagle , and if you gotta pony up a little once in a while ...Justify🤠

#16 ·
In the world of pythons, I’m more on the side of low serial numbers and 2.5” blue or nickel with ivory. I’m picky and that’s me. There are so many angles to collecting and what will be best in time, just collect what you like for what ever reason and enjoy. Watch all the different auctions and listings, you will catch some deals…. Buy the best example of what you want and watch out for fakes, refinished guns, wrong grips, boxes and such. Lots to learn with all these snakes.

#19 ·
Collect what you like, and will be happy with if doesn’t lose value 20 years later.
Your odds of success are much higher with that criteria.

As a generality however on collector grade Snakes-

highest original condition, with original box & papers.
Rarest characteristics within its type, and within most desirable type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.