Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately 3rd generation guns have skyrocketed so much the lines between new 3rd gen guns and used 2nd gens prices seem to be getting a little blurry. Out of curiosity, if you saw both these guns for sale around $2,000 or under, which one would you buy if you were in the market for a .44? Unlike some early 80s guns, my 1982 gun has excellent fitted parts. The 1958 was a .38 Special that I had converted to .44. While well used looking it's beautifully put together and shoots great. Me? No question. I like the old one. Even if not original.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
I might be crazy, but I would be interested in the 1982 44 Spcl. It’s fits in with current SAA’s in my possession.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,284 Posts
Yes!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like both, nice guns but at this time only owning a few late 3rd gens I would go for the 2nd gen. Hopefully in the not to distant future I can score a 1st or 2nd and keep the collection growing. Right now though I'm having fun breaking in the new ones.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Any second thoughts about converting a relatively rare .38 Spl. To 44? They didn’t make very many .38 Spl. as near as I can determine.
When I bought the gun about 12 years ago it had a later .357 barrel on it cut down to 5”. The cylinder was .38 Special. So I assumed the original caliber was .38. Maybe it was a .45…or .44 Special! I had previously bought the .44 barrel for $100 just in case a project came up. Jack Huntington rebored the cylinder and swapped barrels.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I’d pick the 3rd for originality and condition if priced similar.

Reactions: inspcalahan
1 - 20 of 24 Posts