Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the latest CDNN catalog, page 109, gives me four choices for replacemetn grips for my new 1951 .22 Official Police, as follows:
1- Python competition, Zebra wood, Deluxe target, checkered, right hand thumbrest, for $14.99;
2- same thing except walnut, same price;
3- Python Target, walnut , Deluxe Oversized, checkered, right hand thumbrest, for $6.99;
4- Python (& Official Police) Oversize Service, walnut, checkered, right and left thumbrest, for $4.99.

All of these say they will fit official police. So which should I go for, any opinions/advice?
thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
NONE of these! Your 1951 O.P. would have come with the reddish brown plastic "Coltwood" stocks. These are regular size,and fit the grips straps,but don't cover any of the frame.

These plastic stocks came on Colts produced from 1946 up through circa 1953(or when Colt used up the plastic stocks and made the switch back to wood).

These show up very regularly on ebay,but make sure you get an accurate measurement of what the seller is offering. There were some smaller square butt Coltwood stocks made for the D frames(like the Police Positive Special) and its sometimes hard to tell by a picture if they are fi\or the Official Police/ Officers Model.

Most can be obtained for around $20.00

Bud

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have the Coltwood grips, and don't need to replace them, just thought I would save them from the wear and tear, plus maybe get something that feels better to my long fingered hand. These wood grips will not fit, even tho they say 'also Official Police"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those Siles grips from CDNN will fit. However, the "compettition checkered grips with thumbrest" are large competition grips and are not meant for carry. The "walnut grips with thumbrest" are not too bad, and you can always grind of the thumbrest.

Also, Numrich has some grips for the OP, but you have to be careful. I have wound up with a few lemons from them.

If you just want a inexpensive simple set of walnuts similar to the coltwoods, drop me a line. I have a few spares.

Many types of OP grips comes up on Ebay from time to time.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes they will fit. Just thought you were looking for "originals". Might try a Pachmayr or Tyler T grip adapter with the original stocks too.

Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts