Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to buy, or trade into a Colt SAA.
I want to shoot it.
Would the second generation Colts be the best choice?
Collectibility doesn't mean anything to me, because once I start shootin it, the collector's aren't going to want it.
Sorry I don't want a new one, I want a revolver with experience.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Panman
Welcome to the forum.

You can get a used 3rd gen. Colt too & the later ones are very well made from the ones I've seen. A second gen gun would also be an option & possibly worth a bit more than a third gen. gun. Since you don't want a collector, rather a shooter, I might just look for a good used 3rd gen. gun.
Go with what your budget will allow. I wouldn't be afraid of a good used 3rd gen. gun, I would like to look over any gun I was thinking about buying. Do you have a caliber in mind?
Good luck, you'll find the right one
Frank

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Get a good used 2nd or 3rd Generation in .357 Magnum if you are looking for a bargain. Warning -- Once you get one Colt SAA you will want more. Don't be in a hurry and find one you are happy with. Good luck on the search.

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
I'm a Single action fan and collector and also in agreement with the previous comments. 357's tend to run a little less and seem to be more readily available used or like new. As you likely know, you can shoot the 38's in the 357 and save money and less recoil. I think that since the 357 caliber was not a traditional old west caliber, they don't get priced like like they might have come straight from Custer's cold hand or something.. i dunno. The second gen's always cost more in decent shape. Single action Colt's are very scarce in my local area, but I still have been able to find an awesome deal or two on Gbroker and definitely through Forum sellers. Patience is something I struggle with, but the used third gen's do pop up at good prices if you can hold out.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I bought a 2nd gen (1956) a few months ago, but in the hour it took me to drive her home she went from a shooter to a display piece. Of course a month later I bought a NIB (2006) example to shoot, and it is quite a shooter.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The new SAA Colts are just like the old ones if not even better. New and modern materials and the workmanship is second to none. I have a current issue SAA and several older ones. I find the newer ones have no cylinder play, rattle if you will but rather fit snug. The action is much smoother and the finish is well executed. So in my honest opinion if your going to shoot it the new colt is the way to go since Colt has fne tuned the SAA for this purpose. With the increase of the SAA shooting society they have adjusted to producing a better product. I have a 3rd gen. SAA from the 1970's and one current from the 2000's that I shoot the older one I had to put some work in it to smoothen it up to work like butter but the new one came like that right out of the box. Good like on your choice and enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info.
I've got a Trooper, in 38/357, and I've got a series 70 Gold Cup, in 45 ACP.
So, it's going to have to be a 45.
I like to hear the gun go off! LOL
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I have three SAAs made in the 1993-2000 years which I bought in the last two or three years. They are all .45 Colt, 4 3/4 inch barrels. All shoot pretty close to the point of aim (unlike a couple of 1978 SAAs I once had). The two earlier guns (1993 & 1998) had pretty stiff actions and I put action kits in them to smooth them out a bit. The third gun (made in 2000) has a very nice, light smooth action and I didn't have to do a thing to it. All are for cowboy action shooting. I've fitted one-piece ivory grips to the earlier two and will do so next winter for the later one. One of the ivories has been checkered and the other is being done now. (I really like the look and feel of ivory grips.) The first two I bought for $1000 each and the last one for $1300.
I like 'em!

- - Buckspen

P.S. There is one just like mine in the classified section of this forum for $1450 shipped!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts